Find Equation for the Parabola- Help, Please?

• Thread starter dmbeluke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parabola
In summary, the points where the three given equations intersect represent the y-intercept, one of the x-intercepts, and the vertex of a parabola. To find the equation for the parabola, you need to determine the three pairs of (x,y)-values that solve the three equations. From there, you can use the general equation for a parabola to find the constants a, b, and c.
dmbeluke
Each pair of the following three lines cross at a point. Those points are the y-intercept, one of the x-intercepts, and the vertex of a parabola. Can you please explain to me how to find an equation for the parabola? And the other x- intercept?

y+8x=32
y+5x=32
y+3x=12

I have been trying everything I can think of. I think they cross at 0. And I know the equation has to be squared, but I'm so lost on this one, I don't know what else to do. Any advice would be appriciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Step 1:
Determine the 3 pairs of (x,y)-values that solves the 3 pairwise systems of linear equations.
Let's call these:
[tex] {r}_{1}=(x_{1},y_{1}),
{r}_{2}=(x_{2},y_{2}),
{r}_{3}=(x_{3},y_{3})
[/tex]

Step 2.
The general equation for a parabola when the y-coordinate is a function of the x-coordinate is:
[tex]
y=ax^{2}+bx+c[/tex], where a, b,c are constants.

You do know something of the parabola you're after, namely that the 3 pairs [tex] r_{1},r_{2},r_{3}[/tex] are on it.
How can this information be used in order to determine a,b,c?

To find the equation for a parabola, we first need to understand the general form of a parabola. A parabola can be written in the form y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants. In this case, we have three equations with three unknowns (a, b, and c), so we can solve for them using a system of equations.

First, let's rearrange the equations to put them in the form y = ax^2 + bx + c:

y = 32 - 8x
y = 32 - 5x
y = 12 - 3x

Now, we can set up a system of equations by equating the coefficients of x^2, x, and the constants on both sides:

32 - 8x = a + bx + c
32 - 5x = a + bx + c
12 - 3x = a + bx + c

We can solve this system using any method we are comfortable with, such as substitution or elimination. For simplicity, let's use substitution:

From the first equation, we get:

a = 32 - 8x - bx - c

Substituting this into the second equation, we get:

32 - 5x = (32 - 8x - bx - c) + bx + c

Simplifying, we get:

32 - 5x = 32 - 8x

Solving for x, we get:

x = 4

Now, we can substitute this value of x into any of the original equations to solve for a, b, and c. Let's use the first equation:

y = 32 - 8(4) = 0

So, the y-intercept of the parabola is (0,0). This confirms what you mentioned in your post.

To find the other x-intercept, we can use the fact that the x-intercepts are symmetric about the vertex. Therefore, the other x-intercept will be at x = -4. Substituting this into any of the equations, we get the y-coordinate of the vertex:

y = 32 - 8(-4) = 64

So, the vertex of the parabola is at (-4,64).

Now, we can substitute these values into the general form of a parabola to get the equation:

y

What is a parabola?

A parabola is a U-shaped curve that is created by the graph of a quadratic function. It can be opened upwards or downwards, depending on the coefficient of the squared term in the equation.

How do I find the equation for a parabola?

To find the equation for a parabola, you will need to know the coordinates of three points on the curve. You can then use these points to set up a system of equations and solve for the coefficients in the general form of a parabola equation, which is y = ax^2 + bx + c.

What is the difference between a parabola and a line?

A line is a straight path that extends infinitely in both directions, while a parabola is a curved path that is symmetrical about a single point. Additionally, the equation for a line is typically in the form of y = mx + b, while the equation for a parabola is in the form of y = ax^2 + bx + c.

Can a parabola have more than one equation?

No, a parabola can only have one equation. However, the equation can be written in different forms, such as standard form, vertex form, or intercept form. These forms are all equivalent and can be converted into each other.

What are some real-life applications of parabolas?

Parabolas have many real-life applications, such as in architecture (e.g. the shape of arches), engineering (e.g. the trajectory of a projectile), and physics (e.g. the shape of a satellite dish). They are also used in the field of optics to describe the shape of lenses and mirrors.