Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

equicontinuous

Amer

Mar 1, 2012
Prove or disprove
[tex]F_n(x) = sin nx [/tex] is equicontinuous

I know the definition of equicontinuous at [tex]x_0[/tex] it says for all [tex]\epsilon >0 [/tex] there exist [tex]\delta>0 [/tex] such that if [tex]d ( f(x_0),f(x) ) < \epsilon [/tex] then
[tex]d(x_0 , x) < \delta [/tex]

trying if it is equicontinuous at [tex]x_0 = 0 [/tex]
Given [tex]\epsilon > 0 [/tex]

[tex]| f(x) | < \epsilon \Rightarrow |\sin n x | < \epsilon [/tex]
delta depends on epsilon and x just how i can continue

any hints or any directions

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
Prove or disprove
[tex]F_n(x) = \sin nx [/tex] is equicontinuous

I know the definition of equicontinuous at [tex]x_0[/tex] it says for all [tex]\epsilon >0 [/tex] there exist [tex]\delta>0 [/tex] such that if [tex]d ( f(x_0),f(x) ) < \epsilon [/tex] then
[tex]d(x_0 , x) < \delta [/tex]

trying if it is equicontinuous at [tex]x_0 = 0 [/tex]
Given [tex]\epsilon > 0 [/tex]

[tex]| f(x) | < \epsilon \Rightarrow |\sin n x | < \epsilon [/tex]
delta depends on epsilon and x just how i can continue

any hints or any directions
You have written the definition of equicontinuity the wrong way round. It should say that the family $\{f_n(x)\}$ is equicontinuous if for all [tex]\epsilon >0 [/tex] there exists [tex]\delta>0 [/tex] such that if [tex]d(x_0 , x) < \delta [/tex] then [tex]d ( f(x_0),f(x) ) < \epsilon .[/tex]

If the family $\{\sin nx\}$ is equicontinuous, then the definition of equicontinuity should hold with $\epsilon = 1/2.$ Thus there should exist $\delta>0$ such that if $|x|<\delta$ then $|\sin nx < \epsilon$ for all $n.$ Now choose $n$ so that $\frac{\pi}{2n}<\delta$ and let $x = \frac{\pi}{2n}.$ Then $|x|<\delta$ but $|\sin nx| = 1$, contradicting the definition. Thus the family cannot be equicontinuous.

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
You have written the definition of equicontinuity the wrong way round. It should say that the family $\{f_n(x)\}$ is equicontinuous if for all [tex]\epsilon >0 [/tex] there exists [tex]\delta>0 [/tex] such that if [tex]d(x_0 , x) < \delta [/tex] then [tex]d ( f(x_0),f(x) ) < \epsilon .[/tex]
Should be "... then for all n, [tex]d ( f_n(x_0),f_n(x) ) < \epsilon[/tex]."

Amer

Mar 1, 2012
Thanks very much Opalg,

Last edited:

Amer

Mar 1, 2012
at the same way i can prove that the family [tex]F_n (x) = \cos nx [/tex] is not equicontinuous

Suppose that [tex]F_n [/tex] is equicontinuous at x=0 so for any [tex]\epsilon < 1 [/tex] there exist [tex]\delta >0 [/tex] such that if [tex]|x| < \delta [/tex] then [tex] |\cos nx - 1 | < \epsilon [/tex]
choose n so that [tex] \frac{\pi}{2n } < \delta [/tex] let [tex]x = \frac{\pi}{2n} [/tex]
[tex]|\cos n\left(\frac{\pi}{2n} \right) - 1 | = |1| = 1 > \epsilon [/tex]
Is it Ok
Thank you again (Smile)