Exploring the Balmer Series with Spectroscopy

In summary, the conversation is about a student learning about quantum physics and conducting an experiment involving a hydrogen lamp and a defraction grating to verify the visibility of Balmer lines. The student asks why only Balmer series lines are observed and not others, and the expert explains that the Balmer series falls within the visible wavelength region while other series are in the ultraviolet or infrared. The experiment also involves using an equation to calculate the visible lines, with the Rydberg constant and principle quantum numbers being key factors. The expert encourages the student to continue calculating and researching for a better understanding.
UrbanXrisis
I'm learning about quantum physics and did an experiement in my class. It's a spectroscopy activity where you place a hydrogen lamp in front of a defraction grating. We must verify that only the Balmer lines are visible but why do I only observe the Balmer series lines and not others?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the Balmer series is in the visible wavelength region...

UrbanXrisis said:
I'm learning about quantum physics and did an experiement in my class. It's a spectroscopy activity where you place a hydrogen lamp in front of a defraction grating. We must verify that only the Balmer lines are visible but why do I only observe the Balmer series lines and not others?

Only the Bamer lines are in the visible range for your eyes. The Lyman series, for example, are in the ultraviolet range, while the Paschen series are in the infrared. You can verify this by looking at the wavelength typical for each series. All these lines are probably there (depending on the power supply attached to your discharge tubes), but you just can't see them.

Zz.

Sorry to bore you. Like I said, I'm totally new at this. The experiment asks me to verify that only the Balmer lines are visible with the equation:

1/lambda=R(1/n^2)-(1/n^2)

UrbanXrisis said:
Sorry to bore you. Like I said, I'm totally new at this. The experiment asks me to verify that only the Balmer lines are visible with the equation:

1/lambda=R(1/n^2)-(1/n^2)

So then take the n values (principle quantum number) for just the balmer series. I think they are n=[3,4,5,6...]. But you simply go back and look up in the textbook (or web) that they are visible wavelengths that result from putting these numbers in the above Balmer formula...right? All other series (like Paschen) will calculate to be outside your vision. Now the tough part is arranging your equation properly. It says above there are two n's, but its easier to think of them separately as m and n where m<n. We will hold m=2 as constant for the whole series (that's what defines the Balmer series) and increment the n to get all the lines. So the first will be m=2 and n=3.

1. R[1/m^2 - 1/n^2] = R[1/4 - 1/9] = 1.09723 10E-3[0.13888] = 1/(6562.08 Angstroms)

and that's correct. You are using the Rydberg constant above. Then,

2. R[1/4 - 1/16] = 1/(4860.7 A)

Is that right? I'll bet all the lines you saw in your lab correspond to everything you calculate with this method. Now keep going. I don't know how many you calculate for all the visible lines, but as I said you can look that up

1. What is the Balmer Series?

The Balmer Series is a series of spectral lines emitted by excited hydrogen atoms when they transition from higher energy levels to the second energy level. These lines fall in the visible region of the electromagnetic spectrum and can be observed using spectroscopy.

2. How does spectroscopy work?

Spectroscopy is a technique used to study the interaction between matter and electromagnetic radiation. It involves passing a beam of light through a sample and measuring the absorption or emission of specific wavelengths of light. This information can then be used to identify the chemical composition and structure of the sample.

3. Why is the Balmer Series important in spectroscopy?

The Balmer Series is important in spectroscopy because it provides a unique set of spectral lines that can be used to identify the presence of hydrogen in a sample. This is particularly useful in astronomy, where the Balmer Series is used to study the composition of stars and other celestial objects.

4. How can the Balmer Series be explored with spectroscopy?

The Balmer Series can be explored with spectroscopy by using a spectrometer to measure the wavelengths of the spectral lines emitted by hydrogen atoms. By analyzing these wavelengths, scientists can determine the energy levels of the hydrogen atoms and gain a better understanding of atomic structure and energy transitions.

5. What are some practical applications of exploring the Balmer Series with spectroscopy?

Aside from its use in astronomy, exploring the Balmer Series with spectroscopy has many practical applications. It is used in the analysis of chemicals and materials, as well as in medical imaging techniques like MRI. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new technologies, such as lasers and LED lights.