Equations of motion for a rotational system

In summary, the question is to write the Laplace transformed equations of motion for a system with two bodies, J1 and J2. There is confusion about the rotation of J2 not having an angle defined, which may indicate that it does not have linearly independent motion. The fourth equation of motion for J2 is also unclear, with one term being attributed to torques and another term being unexplained. It is suggested to start by defining absolute rotations for each body and then writing the equations of motion to better understand the previously given equations in terms of theta1, theta2, etc.
theone

Homework Statement

http://postimg.org/image/9fw7awqov/
The question is to write the Laplace transformed equations of motion for the system

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused about a couple of things: why is an angle is not defined for the rotation of J2. Does it means J2 does not have linearly independent motion?And the fourth equation of motion (for the second J=0), I can understand the theta 4 term being due to the torques associated with it's motion but I don't get the other term.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I would suggest that you start by ignoring the thetas as defined, and simply define absolute rotations, phi1, phi2, etc. for each body. Then write the equations of motion. At that point, you will be in a better position to back into the equations you gave previously in terms of theta1, theta2, etc.

Related to Equations of motion for a rotational system

What is a rotational system?

A rotational system is a physical system in which an object or a group of objects rotates around a fixed axis.

What are the basic equations of motion for a rotational system?

The basic equations of motion for a rotational system are angular velocity, angular acceleration, and torque.

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around an axis. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s).

What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity. It is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²).

What is torque?

Torque is the rotational equivalent of force. It is the product of force and the distance from the axis of rotation. It is measured in Newton-meters (Nm).