Equations for fluid flowing down a slope

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the drag equation to calculate the change in velocity of a fluid flowing down a slope. However, due to the constantly changing velocity squared and the need to incorporate fluid shear, using the drag equation is not a suitable approach. The Navier-Stokes equations may provide a better solution, but incorporating the no-slip boundary condition and contact line motion remains a challenge.
BLKX-Darkreaper
I want to be able to calculate the change in velocity of a fluid flowing down a slope using the drag equation as the source of friction. However the drag equation uses velocity squared which is constantly changing as the fluid accelerates/decelerates. How do I integrate the drag equation into those used for determining velocity with an non-constant acceleration?
Ideally I'd also like to integrate fluid shear into these equations as well which would mitigate flow drag with increasing depth

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 449
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is that the drag equation would be a very bad way to go about this. For one, how would you determine a drag coefficient and how would it change as the shear changed? The source of "drag" in this case is the shear, so treating them separately doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Generally, if you want to get a decent answer, you'll likely have to just use the Navier-Stokes equations or one of the various models approximating them.

Likes Chestermiller
Drag is produced by the surface that the fluid is flowing over and therefore the shear as well. There are existing drag coefficients for different types of water channels, which is what i would use

The drag and shear are one in the same. The shear stress at the wall is exactly the drag. Water channel drag coefficients don't necessarily make sense because you'll have a free surface present.

BLKX-Darkreaper said:
I want to be able to calculate the change in velocity of a fluid flowing down a slope using the drag equation as the source of friction. <snip>

How did you incorporate the no-slip boundary condition at the fluid-solid interface, and how did you incorporate contact line motion at the 3-phase line?

Andy Resnick said:
How did you incorporate the no-slip boundary condition at the fluid-solid interface, and how did you incorporate contact line motion at the 3-phase line?
As to the first question, I havent. Still trying to work out a set of equations.
As for the second question I am not familiar with that issue, could you elaborate?

boneh3ad said:
The problem is that the drag equation would be a very bad way to go about this. For one, how would you determine a drag coefficient and how would it change as the shear changed? The source of "drag" in this case is the shear, so treating them separately doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Generally, if you want to get a decent answer, you'll likely have to just use the Navier-Stokes equations or one of the various models approximating them.
Not sure how to apply the Navier-Stokes equations in this case. Would you be able to provide a simplified version of the equations to help solve this problem?

BLKX-Darkreaper said:
As to the first question, I havent. Still trying to work out a set of equations.
As for the second question I am not familiar with that issue, could you elaborate?

To be honest, this was the answer I expected. They are still open questions, FWIW. Elizabeth Dussan (E. B. Dussan V.) co-wrote several seminal papers, for example:

http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev.fl.11.010179.002103?journalCode=fluid

Good luck...

I'm not looking for something perfect. Just a good approximation for use in a game

Yeah the problem is that even "good approximations" of that flow are quite complex, and trying to use the drag equation is not a suitable solution. It is not a model that was designed with such a situation in mind.

Related to Equations for fluid flowing down a slope

1. What is the equation for calculating the velocity of fluid flowing down a slope?

The equation for calculating the velocity of fluid flowing down a slope is given by the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the slope. This equation is known as the Bernoulli's equation.

2. How do you calculate the Reynolds number for fluid flowing down a slope?

The Reynolds number for fluid flowing down a slope can be calculated using the formula Re = ρvd/μ, where ρ is the density of the fluid, v is the velocity, d is the characteristic length of the flow (such as the width of the slope), and μ is the dynamic viscosity of the fluid.

3. What is the equation for determining the pressure at a specific point in a fluid flowing down a slope?

The equation for determining the pressure at a specific point in a fluid flowing down a slope is given by the formula P + ½ρv^2 + ρgh = constant, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the point above a reference level. This is known as the Bernoulli's equation.

4. How do you calculate the flow rate of a fluid down a slope?

The flow rate of a fluid down a slope can be calculated using the formula Q = Av, where Q is the flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area of the flow, and v is the velocity of the fluid. This equation is known as the continuity equation.

5. What is the equation for determining the energy loss in a fluid flowing down a slope?

The equation for determining the energy loss in a fluid flowing down a slope is given by the formula E = ρgh, where E is the energy loss, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the slope. This equation is known as the energy equation or the Bernoulli's equation.