Equations for finding magnetic force between magnet and solenoid

In summary: The scope of this experiment was to see how varying the distance between the solenoid and magnet, voltage across the solenoid, and temperature of the iron core inside the solenoid affected the magnetic field produced and the magnetic repulsion between the solenoid and magnet.
samman010
Hi everyone.

I was doing an experiment on the effects of varying the distance between the solenoid and magnet, the voltage across the solenoid, and temperature of the iron core inside the solenoid on the magnetic field produced and the magnetic repulsion between the solenoid and magnet.

The magnet was placed on a scale with blu-tack and the solenoid with the iron core was placed above with a retort stand. Those variables were then changed one at a time.

My question is, how do I find the theoretical force of repulsion between the magnet and solenoid? I already have the readings (tared). I have found some equations, however I lack information on the iron core and do not know how much it affects the magnet field. What is its permeability? I read that it varies.

I have found this formula for finding the force:

[itex]F=\frac{\mu_{0}m_{1}m_{2}}{4\pi r^2}[/itex]

And also for finding the magnetic pole strength:

[itex]m=\frac{NIA}{L} [/itex]

But since I have an iron core, wouldn't that affect magnet pole strength? It only has number of turns, current, area and length in the equation.

Also how would I find the magnetic pole strength of the permanent bar magnet that I used?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, that's a complicated problem, especially if coil and magnet are close to each othe (compared to their size).

samman010 said:
I have found this formula for finding the force:

[itex]F=\frac{\mu_{0}m_{1}m_{2}}{4\pi r^2}[/itex]
Where does that formula come from?

But since I have an iron core, wouldn't that affect magnet pole strength? It only has number of turns, current, area and length in the equation.
For an iron core, multiply it with µr, if the result is small compared to the saturation field of iron (~1-2 Tesla). If it is not, it gets more complicated.

Also how would I find the magnetic pole strength of the permanent bar magnet that I used?
With data points of your coil, or with a magnetometer (magnetic field strength sensor).

Likes 1 person
Also, how would the permeability of the iron core change with temperature? Are there any equations?

That equation looks odd. It does not give the right units, and the force should drop with the 4th power of the distance, not with the second power.

Also, how would the permeability of the iron core change with temperature? Are there any equations?
I'm sure there are tables, but I don't know where.

What is the scope of this experiment?

Likes 1 person

Related to Equations for finding magnetic force between magnet and solenoid

What is the equation for finding the magnetic force between a magnet and a solenoid?

The equation for finding the magnetic force between a magnet and a solenoid is given by F = BIL, where F is the force (in Newtons), B is the magnetic field strength (in Tesla), I is the current (in Amperes), and L is the length of the solenoid (in meters).

How do I determine the direction of the magnetic force between a magnet and a solenoid?

The direction of the magnetic force can be determined using the right-hand rule. Point your right thumb in the direction of the current and curl your fingers towards the direction of the magnetic field. The direction your fingers point in is the direction of the magnetic force.

Can the magnetic force between a magnet and a solenoid be increased?

Yes, the magnetic force can be increased by increasing the strength of the magnetic field, the current, or the length of the solenoid. Additionally, using a stronger magnet or increasing the number of turns in the solenoid can also increase the magnetic force.

What happens to the magnetic force when the distance between the magnet and solenoid is increased?

The magnetic force decreases as the distance between the magnet and solenoid is increased. This is because the magnetic field strength decreases with distance according to the inverse square law.

Are there any other factors that can affect the magnetic force between a magnet and solenoid?

Yes, the orientation of the magnet and solenoid can also affect the magnetic force. For example, if the magnet and solenoid are not aligned parallel to each other, the magnetic force will be lessened. Additionally, the presence of other magnetic or electric fields in the surroundings can also influence the magnetic force.