Equations and sketches on a computer

• Thread starter bacon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, my daughter and I have been trying to communicate equations for physics using different methods. I would like to be able to freehand sketch a drawing or write an equation that would appear real-time on her computer screen or alternatively could be written on a digital sheet of paper that could be easily and quickly sent as an email attachment or in some other manner. A relatively low-tech, non-real-time solution is to draw the diagram on paper, then scan it and e-mail the image as an attachment. If needed, you can usually reduce the file size a lot by manipulating the contrast in an image-editing program, to make the background perfectly white, then saving the image as a GIF instead of a JPEG
bacon
I have been helping my daughter over the phone with first year physics and have run into a problem with communication(insert your favorite joke here). It is difficult to describe a diagram that has vector, angles, notations and also associated equations. I would like to be able to freehand sketch a drawing or write an equation that would appear real time on her computer screen or alternatively could be written on a digital sheet of paper that could be easily and quickly sent as an email attachment or in some other manner.

Has anyone here had this situation before and know of some relatively inexpensive solutions.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

We both use Mac's.
I have looked at Wacom's Bamboo Pen as an input device but have not tried it yet.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Not immediately. We could approach this strictly from a tech perspective. For example, what precisely do you wish to have for the input interfaces? Do you mean a writing-tablet that you write free-hand with a pen of sorts, and that input appears real-time on a similar writing-pad at the other end? That sounds like a fun coding problem, hardware and interfaces too.

What would be the best way of searching the internet for this type of interface? I'm not even sure how I would describe it effectively.

A relatively low-tech, non-real-time solution is to draw the diagram on paper, then scan it and e-mail the image as an attachment. If needed, you can usually reduce the file size a lot by manipulating the contrast in an image-editing program, to make the background perfectly white, then saving the image as a GIF instead of a JPEG.

For a real-time solution you could use a webcam focused on a sheet of paper that you write on. If necessary, you can scan the paper and e-mail the image later as a permanent record.

Isnt Google Wave capable of this in real time. Text and audio chat

I think Skype has a feature that has a white/black board for drawing...

Thank you for your responses. I am going to look into your suggestions. I will let you know what ends up working for me.

Related to Equations and sketches on a computer

1. What is the purpose of using equations and sketches on a computer?

The purpose of using equations and sketches on a computer is to solve mathematical problems and to visually represent complex ideas or concepts. Equations allow for precise calculations and analysis, while sketches can help to illustrate and communicate the results.

2. What software is commonly used for creating equations and sketches on a computer?

There are several software options available for creating equations and sketches on a computer, including Microsoft Excel, Mathematica, and Adobe Illustrator. Some of these programs are specifically designed for mathematical or scientific purposes, while others have more general capabilities for creating visual graphics.

3. Can equations and sketches on a computer be used for real-world applications?

Yes, equations and sketches on a computer are commonly used in a wide range of real-world applications. They are often used in engineering and scientific research to model and analyze complex systems, and in design and architecture to visualize and plan structures and products. They can also be used in education to help students understand and solve mathematical problems.

4. Are there any limitations to using equations and sketches on a computer?

While equations and sketches on a computer can be very useful, there are some limitations to consider. For example, some equations or systems may be too complex to accurately represent on a computer, or may require specialized software. Additionally, sketches may not always accurately reflect real-world conditions and may require additional testing or adjustment.

5. Can equations and sketches on a computer be shared and collaborated on with others?

Yes, equations and sketches on a computer can be easily shared and collaborated on with others. Many software programs allow for multiple users to work on the same document simultaneously, and there are also online platforms and tools specifically designed for collaborative work on equations and sketches. This can be especially useful for group projects or for receiving feedback and input from colleagues or experts in the field.