Equation with two inequalities

• MHB
  • Thread starter find_the_fun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequalities
In summary, to solve the inequality 2h+1≤n≤2h+1 for h, you can split it into two separate inequalities connected by an $\wedge$-sign. The final set of solutions is the interception of the two single sets of solutions. To solve these inequalities, you can do each separately and find the overlap of the two sets of solutions on the real number line.
find_the_fun
This is part of a larger problem and I'm trying to solve 2h+1≤n≤2h+1 for h. If the equation had two equals signs or one inequality I think I could do it but I'm not sure how to proceed with both. In other words, I don't know how to manipulate an expression of the form (expr1)≤(expr2)≤(expr3). Any help would be appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
find_the_fun said:
This is part of a larger problem and I'm trying to solve 2h+1≤n≤2h+1 for h. If the equation had two equals signs or one inequality I think I could do it but I'm not sure how to proceed with both. In other words, I don't know how to manipulate an expression of the form (expr1)≤(expr2)≤(expr3). Any help would be appreciated.

You can split a "chain of inequalities" into single inequalities connected by an $\wedge $-sign:

$ 2h+1≤n≤2^{h+1}~\implies~ 2h+1 \leq n ~\wedge ~ n\leq 2^{h+1} $

The final set of solutions is the interception of the two single sets of solutions (sorry if my English sounds a little bit cryptic)

find_the_fun said:

Assuming both \(h\) and \(n\) are real:

Do each seperatly so \(2h+1\le n \Rightarrow h\le \frac{n-1}{2} \), and \(n\le2^{h+1}\Rightarrow h \ge \log_2(n)-1\)

The simultaneous solutions are values in the overlap of the two parts of the real line to which the two conditions constrain \(h\)

CB

Related to Equation with two inequalities

1. What is an equation with two inequalities?

An equation with two inequalities is a mathematical statement that contains two separate inequalities, usually separated by an "and" or "or" conjunction. It represents a range of values that satisfy both inequalities simultaneously.

2. How do you solve an equation with two inequalities?

To solve an equation with two inequalities, you must first isolate the variable on one side of each inequality. Then, you can graph the inequalities on a number line to determine the range of values that satisfy both inequalities.

3. Can an equation with two inequalities have more than one solution?

Yes, an equation with two inequalities can have more than one solution. In fact, it can have an infinite number of solutions, represented by a shaded region on a graph or by a range of values.

4. How do you know if a point is a solution to an equation with two inequalities?

A point is a solution to an equation with two inequalities if it satisfies both inequalities simultaneously. This means that the point must lie within the shaded region on a graph or fall within the range of values.

5. Can you use substitution to solve an equation with two inequalities?

Yes, substitution can be used to solve an equation with two inequalities. By isolating the variable in one of the inequalities, you can substitute its value into the other inequality to solve for the remaining variable.