Volume of a house physics problem

In summary, a lake would lose about 30 cm of depth per year if it covered an area of 43 square kilometers and supplied a local town with a population of 43000 people.
slayerdeus
An average family of four uses roughly 1200 liters (about 300 gallons) of water per day. (one liter = 1000 cm3.) How much depth would a lake lose per year if it uniformly covered an area of 43 square kilometers and supplied a local town with a population of 43000 people? Consider only population uses, and neglect evaporation, etc.

Where do I even start? I thought of viewing it as a cylinder but, there is no height. uh?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're solving for the height. You don't know the shape of the lake, only the size of its footprint. But the footprint's size times the height will yield the volume. So use the population of the town to figure out the volume, then solve for height.

cookiemonster

umm okay, so 43000m*height=1/2(pi)r^2h?

No.

Volume = Area*height.

What's the volume of water that 43000 people use? What's the area of the lake? Solve for height.

cookiemonster

The volume of water would be (43000 people/4)*(1200 L)*(1000 cm^3/L)= 1.29e10 cm^3
Area = (43km^2)(100000 cm/km) = 4300000 cm^2
*btw the final answer must be in cm

h = 1.29e10 cm^3/4300000 cm^2
h = 3000 cm

Looks right to me.

cookiemonster

30 metre?? sheesh. that's A lot of water. when I did I I got .03cm for the height.
I will double check my work. If I am not mistaken your area is not correct. if the area is 43km^2 then the area in cm is (root(43)*100000)^2 which equals 4.3E11
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

This is definitely wrong, slayerdeus and cookiemonster. You haven't taken into account that there are 365 days in a year.

height/year
= height/volume * volume/year
= height/volume * volume/day * day/year
= height/volume * (volume/day)/person * number_of_people * day/year
= height/volume * (volume/day)/family * family/person * number_of_people * day/year
= 1/area * 1200 L * 1000cc/L * 1/4 * 43000 * 365
= 1/43 km^2 * (1km^2/10,000,000,000 cm^2) * 1,200,000/4 * 43000 * 365
= 10.95 cm/yr

A much more reasonable answer, don't you think?

What is the formula for calculating the volume of a house?

The formula for calculating the volume of a house is length x width x height. This formula applies to both rectangular and irregularly shaped houses.

What units should be used when measuring the dimensions of a house?

The dimensions of a house should be measured in the same unit, such as feet or meters, to ensure accurate calculations. It is important to be consistent with the chosen unit throughout the calculation process.

Can the volume of a house be calculated if one of the dimensions is not known?

Yes, the volume of a house can still be calculated if one of the dimensions is not known. However, this will require additional information or measurements, such as the area of a room or the slope of a roof, to determine the missing dimension.

How does the shape of a house affect its volume?

The shape of a house does affect its volume. Houses with more complex shapes, such as multiple levels or curved walls, will have a greater volume compared to houses with simpler shapes.

Why is calculating the volume of a house important in physics?

Calculating the volume of a house is important in physics because it is a fundamental aspect of understanding the physical properties and characteristics of an object. It can also be used in various engineering and construction applications, such as determining the amount of materials needed for a project.