Equation Questions for a gas powered engine driving a pulley system.

In summary, to drag a 400 lbs. object up a 45 degree incline for 150 feet at a speed of 3 miles per hour, you will need approximately 2.38 horsepower and 297.19 pounds of force. The other variables needed to calculate this include the static and kinetic coefficients of friction, as well as the speed at which the object will be dragged.
andywingett
I am building a prototype for an agricultural pulley system and I need help calculating how much horse power I need.

The pulley system will need to drag a 400 lbs. object of a 45 degree incline for 150 feet. The static coefficient of friction is 0.1 and the kinetic friction is only 0.05.

According to my calculations the Newtons of force needed to do this is 1322 = 297.19 Pounds Force.

I need to know how much horse power is needed to do this, and the amount of torque that will need to be exerted.

What are the other variables I need to input to solve this?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
How fast do you want to drag the object up the incline?

Three Miles per hour.

Horsepower = P * V / 550

For your case, V = [3 mph * 5280 ft/mi] / 3600 s/hr = 4.4 ft/sec.

1 hp = 550 ft-lbs/sec.

P = 297.19 lbs

horsepower = 297.19 * 4.4 / 550 = 2.38 hp

Related to Equation Questions for a gas powered engine driving a pulley system.

1. What is the equation for calculating the power of a gas powered engine?

The equation for calculating power is power = force x velocity. This means that the power of a gas powered engine can be found by multiplying the force it exerts with the velocity at which it operates.

2. How does the size of the pulley affect the speed of the engine?

The size of the pulley can affect the speed of the engine by changing the gear ratio. A smaller pulley will result in a higher gear ratio, which means the engine will have to work harder to turn the pulley, resulting in a lower speed. Conversely, a larger pulley will result in a lower gear ratio and a higher speed.

3. What is the role of the gas in the equation for a gas powered engine driving a pulley system?

The gas in the equation represents the fuel that is used to power the engine. The amount of gas and its efficiency will have an impact on the power output and speed of the engine.

4. How does friction affect the equation for a gas powered engine driving a pulley system?

Friction can have a significant impact on the equation for a gas powered engine driving a pulley system. Friction can cause energy to be lost, resulting in a decrease in power and speed of the engine. To minimize the effects of friction, the pulley system should be well-lubricated and maintained.

5. Can the equation be used to calculate the efficiency of a gas powered engine driving a pulley system?

Yes, the equation can be used to calculate the efficiency of a gas powered engine driving a pulley system. The efficiency can be found by dividing the power output by the amount of power input. This will give a decimal value, which can then be converted to a percentage to determine the efficiency.