Equation problem. How to elimintate t?

• Thread starter intijk
  • Start date
In summary, to normalize the function \Psi(x,t)=Ae^{-a[(mx^2/h)+i t]}, where A and a are positive real constants, we use the equation 1=2|A|^2 \int_0^\inf e^{-2amx^2/h}dx to find the value of A. This involves finding the complex conjugate of \Psi and integrating over all space, which in this case is from 0 to \infty. This eliminates the variable t and allows us to solve for A, ensuring that the integral of |\Psi|^2 is equal to 1.
intijk
[itex]\Psi(x,t)=Ae^{-a[(mx^2/h)+i t]}[/itex] (1)

A and a are positive real constant.

Use Normalization to get A, the answer says that:

[itex]1=2|A|^2 \int_0^\inf e^{-2amx^2/h}dx[/itex] (2)

Can you show me how to do the transform to get the righside of the equation (2)?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you can write the equation as
[tex]\Psi(x,t)= Ae^{-amx^2/h}e^{ait}[/tex]

To "normalize" that function means to find A such that the integral of [itex]|\Psi|^2= (\Psi)(\Psi^*)[/itex], the product of [itex]\Psi[/itex] and its complex conjugate, over all "space", is 1. The only "i" is in [itex]e^{ait}[/itex] and, of course, [itex](e^{ait})(e^{-ait})= 1[/itex]. Since this has only one space variable, x, that should be for x from [itex]-\infty[/itex] to [itex]\infty[/itex]. Of course, the function is even in x so you can just integrate from 0 to [itex]\infty[/itex] and then multiply by 2.

Thank you, HallsofIvy.
I know it now. In [itex]\Psi^*[/itex] there is a [itex]e^{-ait}[/itex].
So, [itex]\Psi\Psi^*[/itex] will cause [itex]e^{ait}e^{-ait}=1[/itex], then t is eliminated.

Thank you so much!

Related to Equation problem. How to elimintate t?

1. How do I solve an equation with a variable t?

To solve an equation with a variable t, you need to isolate the t term on one side of the equation. This can be done by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. What does it mean to eliminate t in an equation?

Eliminating t in an equation means to remove the variable t from the equation by simplifying the equation to only include constants and other variables. This allows for a simpler and more manageable equation to solve.

3. Why would I want to eliminate t in an equation?

Eliminating t in an equation can make it easier to solve the equation or to find the solution for a specific variable. It can also help in identifying patterns or relationships between different variables in the equation.

4. What are some techniques for eliminating t in an equation?

Some techniques for eliminating t in an equation include using the distributive property, combining like terms, and using inverse operations to isolate the t term on one side of the equation.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when trying to eliminate t in an equation?

Some common mistakes when trying to eliminate t in an equation include forgetting to apply the same operation to both sides of the equation, making errors in simplifying expressions, and not following the correct order of operations.