? - infinitely differentiable solutions to initial value problems

In summary, a theory does exist that allows to answer questions like "does a solution of initial value problem of second order differential equation is infinitely differentiable on the set of positive real numbers?" The solution is infinitely differentiable on the set of reals for {y''=1/y, y(0)=1,y'(0)=0}, but not for {y''=1/y, y(0)=1,y'(0)=0}, for which first order derivative goes to infinity as t approaches 1.25.
QQ
Hi,

I am interested to know whether a theory exists that allows to answer the following sort of question.

Does a solution of initial value problem of second order differential equation is infinitely differentiable on the set of positive real numbers?

For example,

1) the solution of {y''=y^2, y(0)=1, y'(0)=0} is a function y(t) that goes to infinity as t approaches 2.9744 ... and thus is not infinitely differentiable.

2) {y''=-1/y, y(0)=1,y'(0)=0} is not infinitely differentiable as well, since first order derivative goes to infinity as t approaches 1.25...

3) on the contrary, for {y''=1/y, y(0)=1,y'(0)=0}, y(t) is infinitely differentiable on the set of reals.

So, is there any theory which helps to answer such sort of questions without explicitely solving an equation or system of equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) the solution you suggest is not defined on the real numbers

2) erm, the equation x^{1/2} has derivative tending to infinity at the origin, that doesn't stop it being defined there

All you can say is that any solution must be in C^2, and that is sufficient for most purposes I can think of.

matt grime said:
1) the solution you suggest is not defined on the real numbers

Ok, here it is defined at least on interval (0, 2.97...),
but that is the question, for which differential equations the solution is defined on all real positives and is infinitely differentiable on all real positives?

2) erm, the equation x^{1/2} has derivative tending to infinity at the origin, that doesn't stop it being defined there

Yes, function is defined, but not the derivative!

All you can say is that any solution must be in C^2, and that is sufficient for most purposes I can think of.

Well, I am interested which differential equations define real analytic functions on at least real positive numbers, and hence at first need to know which of them define infinitely differentiable functions (C^infinity).

lipschitz and peano are the names for the uniquness and existence of solutions (in that order) of a differential equation, but i don't recall the exact wording of the result (ie if it is a smooth solution or just a solution).

there are various results about this kind of thing but i can't think of where to look for a unifying one, sorry.

what your problem reminds me of

Hi, QQ;

1) Your problem reminds me of a question which puzzles me:
Imagine that we have a graph for a solution of some DE. I mean, all comparatively precise data for x and y(x). The question is: Does any procedure exist that can give us the quantitive measure of this solution being an analytic function (generally, a superposition of any given set of functions), e.g.: P=74%? If this probability is going up when we increase the quality of input data x and y(x), the solution could be analytic and there is an additional chance that we'll be able to find it.

2) Have you heard about Painleve property (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PainleveProperty.html)? I think it could be connected to your problem.

Best of luck,
Max.

1. What is an initial value problem?

An initial value problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a function or set of functions that satisfy a given equation or system of equations, along with a set of initial conditions. The initial conditions typically specify the values of the function(s) at a single point or a small interval of points.

2. What does it mean for a solution to be infinitely differentiable?

A solution to an initial value problem is considered to be infinitely differentiable if it has derivatives of all orders (i.e. first derivative, second derivative, third derivative, etc.) at every point within its domain. This means that the function is smooth and has no abrupt changes in slope or curvature.

3. How is an initial value problem solved?

An initial value problem is typically solved by first writing the given equation(s) as a system of differential equations. Then, using techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or variation of parameters, the solution(s) to the system can be determined. The initial conditions are then used to find the specific solution that satisfies the given problem.

4. What are some real-world applications of initial value problems?

Initial value problems are used in many scientific and engineering fields to model physical systems and predict their behavior. Some examples include predicting the spread of diseases, analyzing the motion of objects in space, and forecasting weather patterns.

5. Can an initial value problem have multiple solutions?

Yes, it is possible for an initial value problem to have multiple solutions. In some cases, the solutions may differ by a constant or have different domains. However, in general, initial value problems have unique solutions that can be determined by specifying appropriate initial conditions.