Write the vector V=i+2j+3k at the point (x,y,z)=(1,1,0)

• Thread starter jlmac2001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the question is about writing a vector in terms of spherical polar coordinate unit vectors at two different points and checking the answers using the norm in Cartesian coordinates and the transformation rules between the unit vectors.
jlmac2001
jlmac2001 Question:

Write the vector V=i+2j+3k at the point (x,y,z)=(1,1,0) in terms of the spherical polar coordinate unit vectors r, theta and phi at that point. Do this again at the point (x,y,z)=(1,1,1). Check your answers by checking the norm of both vectors and comparing to the norm in Cartesian coordinates and by making sure that the signs of each component are as you would expect.

How would I answer this in terms of spherical polar coordinate unit vectors r, theta and phi?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the transformation rules between the unit vectors in Cartesian and sph. coordinates?
That's all you need to take into account

To write the vector V=i+2j+3k at the point (x,y,z)=(1,1,0) in terms of spherical polar coordinate unit vectors, we need to first convert the vector components from Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates. This can be done using the following equations:

r = √(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)

θ = arccos(z/r)

φ = arctan(y/x)

Substituting the given values (x,y,z)=(1,1,0) into these equations, we get:

r = √(1^2 + 1^2 + 0^2) = √2

θ = arccos(0/√2) = π/2

φ = arctan(1/1) = π/4

Therefore, the vector V in terms of spherical polar coordinate unit vectors at the point (x,y,z)=(1,1,0) is:

V = (i cos φ sin θ + j sin φ sin θ + k cos θ) r

Substituting the values of φ and θ, we get:

V = (√2/2 i + √2/2 j + 0k) √2

= i + j

Similarly, at the point (x,y,z)=(1,1,1), the vector V in terms of spherical polar coordinate unit vectors would be:

r = √(1^2 + 1^2 + 1^2) = √3

θ = arccos(1/√3) = π/3

φ = arctan(1/1) = π/4

Therefore, V = (i cos φ sin θ + j sin φ sin θ + k cos θ) r

= (√3/2 i + √3/2 j + 1/√3 k) √3

= √3 i + √3 j + k

To check our answers, we can calculate the norm of both vectors in Cartesian coordinates and compare it to the norm in spherical coordinates. The norm of V in Cartesian coordinates is √(1^2 + 2^2 + 3^2) = √14. And in spherical coordinates, the norm is r = √3 for the point (1,1,1)

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction.

What is a vector problem?

A vector problem is a mathematical problem that involves the manipulation and analysis of vectors, often in relation to physical quantities.

How do you add vectors?

To add vectors, you must first determine their components (magnitude and direction) and then use the appropriate mathematical operations to combine them. Typically, the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions are used to find the resultant vector.

What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include temperature, time, and mass, while examples of vectors include velocity, force, and displacement.

In what fields are vector problems commonly used?

Vector problems are commonly used in physics, engineering, and mathematics to model and solve real-world problems involving motion, forces, and other physical quantities.