Equation of Tangent Line to y=cosx at a=pi/4

So the correct answer should be y = -sqrt(2)/2(x-pi/4)+sqrt(2)/2, where y is the value of the tangent line at any given x. In summary, the equation of the tangent line to the curve y=cosx at a=pi/4 is y = -sqrt(2)/2(x-pi/4)+sqrt(2)/2.
UrbanXrisis
Write the equation of the tangent line to the cure y=cosx at a=pi/4

(y-y1)=m(x-x1)

cos(pi/4)=sqrt(2)/2
y'=-sinx=-sin(pi/4)=-sqrt(2)/2

(y-sqrt(2)/2)=m(x-pi/4)
y'=-sqrt(2)/2(x-pi/4)+sqrt(2)/2

My teacher circled the y' and took a point off. I know that y'=-sinx but what should be in its place?

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]y = mx + c[/itex] is the tangent line.

[tex]y' = \frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] which is the gradient of your line. So actually at [itex]x = a[/itex] you will find that [itex]m = y'[/itex]

The answer for the tangent line is
-sqrt(2)/2(x-pi/4)+sqrt(2)/2

However, I wrote y'=-sqrt(2)/2(x-pi/4)+sqrt(2)/2

which my teacher marked off a point for the y'
I know that -sqrt(2)/2(x-pi/4)+sqrt(2)/2 is the tangent line, but what does it equal to?

Because the tangent line is a function on its own, it could just be f(x) or y; you are looking for the equation of the tangent line, not just its slope (which is y').

Related to Equation of Tangent Line to y=cosx at a=pi/4

What is the equation of the tangent line to y=cosx at a=pi/4?

The equation of the tangent line to y=cosx at a=pi/4 is y = -x + √2/2.

How do you find the equation of the tangent line to y=cosx at a=pi/4?

To find the equation of the tangent line to y=cosx at a=pi/4, you can use the point-slope form of a line and the derivative of cosx. The derivative of cosx is -sinx, so at a=pi/4, the slope of the tangent line is -sin(pi/4) = -1. Using the point (pi/4,cos(pi/4)), the equation becomes y - cos(pi/4) = -1(x - pi/4). Simplifying this equation gives us the equation y = -x + √2/2.

What does the equation of the tangent line to y=cosx at a=pi/4 represent?

The equation of the tangent line to y=cosx at a=pi/4 represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function y=cosx at the point a=pi/4. It shows how the y-values of the function are changing at that specific point on the graph.

Why is it important to find the equation of the tangent line to y=cosx at a=pi/4?

Finding the equation of the tangent line to y=cosx at a=pi/4 is important because it allows us to approximate the value of cos(pi/4) and its derivatives at that point. It also helps us understand the behavior of the function y=cosx near the point a=pi/4.

How can the equation of the tangent line to y=cosx at a=pi/4 be used in real life?

The equation of the tangent line to y=cosx at a=pi/4 can be used to solve real-life problems involving rates of change. For example, it can be used to calculate the velocity of an object at a certain point in time, where the position of the object is represented by the function y=cosx. It can also be used in physics and engineering to approximate the behavior of a system near a specific point.