Equation of Motion: Understand Last Sentence

In summary: However, if any parameter is dependent on time, then the motion cannot be uniquely determined from the initial conditions. In summary, the statement from the book is that if all the co-ordinates and velocities are known at a specific instant, the accelerations of the system can be uniquely defined, as long as the accelerations are independent of time. This is an example of the application of Lagrangian physics, where the equations of motion for a classical system can be solved by making the action stationary. However, it is important to note that the statement may not be completely accurate, as external and inter-particle forces also play a role in determining the future of the system.
rasensuriken
I came across this from a book saying that:
If all the co-ordinates and velocities are simultaneously specified, it is known from experience that the state of the system is completely determined and that its subsequent motion can, in principle, be calculated. Mathematically, this means that, if all the co-ordinates q and velocities dq/dt are given at some instant, the accelerations d[tex]^{2}[/tex]q/dt[tex]^{2}[/tex] at that instant are uniquely defined.

May i know what is meant by the last sentence?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an example of the application of Lagrangian physics. In Lagrangian physics, you can specify the Lagrangian of the system (the difference between the kinetic and potential energies) as a function of position, velocity and time. The integral of the Lagrangian over time is called the action. The equations of motion for a classical system are ones which make the action stationary. This can be solved in a variety of ways.

The associated wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_(physics )

So yes, the statement is true but there is a bit of work that you have to do to get the equations of motion out of it. I'm sure you could probably do it also via a different means, maybe using Hamiltonian physics but I am not very familiar with working with Hamiltonians (as horrible as that fact may be) outside of quantum physics.

Last edited by a moderator:
rasensuriken said:
...Mathematically, this means that, if all the co-ordinates q and velocities dq/dt are given at some instant, the accelerations d[tex]^{2}[/tex]q/dt[tex]^{2}[/tex] at that instant are uniquely defined.

May i know what is meant by the last sentence?

It is a somewhat wrong statement. The accelerations are also determined with forces that should be given too. The external and inter-particle forces depend on coordinates and velocities, so if the force dependencies are known, the future of the system is calculated from the initial data and the given forces. It is just like for one-particle system: you specify the initial data and a force to calculate the time dependence of your variables.

hmm...but i think the book should be more or less accurate...i quote this from the book "Mechanics" by L.D.Landau...i do have the same opinion as yours when i am reading this...But considering Born2bwire's i think the statement is alright, since the Lagrangian is T-U, in which the potential energy also being taken care of (i.e. if U depend on the position then it's being taken into account) =). Thanks everyone =)

Last edited:
rasensuriken said:
... Mathematically, this means that, if all the co-ordinates q and velocities dq/dt are given at some instant, the accelerations d2q/dt2 at that instant are uniquely defined. May i know what is meant by the last sentence?
This is correct as long as the accelerations are independent of time. If every parameter is independent of time, then the motion is uniquely defined.

Related to Equation of Motion: Understand Last Sentence

What is the equation of motion and what does it represent?

The equation of motion is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between an object's position, velocity, acceleration, and time. It represents the motion of an object and can be used to predict future positions and velocities.

How does the equation of motion relate to Newton's laws of motion?

The equation of motion is based on Newton's laws of motion, specifically the second law which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. The equation of motion incorporates this relationship to describe the motion of objects.

What is the significance of the last sentence in the equation of motion?

The last sentence in the equation of motion, "a = dv/dt", represents the relationship between acceleration and the change in an object's velocity over time. This concept is important in understanding how an object's acceleration can change as it moves.

How can the equation of motion be used to solve problems?

The equation of motion can be used to solve a variety of problems related to the motion of objects. By plugging in known values, such as initial velocity and acceleration, the equation can be rearranged to solve for other variables, such as time or final velocity.

Are there any limitations to the equation of motion?

The equation of motion is based on several assumptions, such as the absence of air resistance and constant acceleration. This means that it may not accurately describe the motion of objects in certain situations, such as when air resistance is present or when an object's acceleration is changing. Additionally, it only applies to objects moving in a straight line.