Equation of Motion of a System of Springs (System Dynamics)

In summary, the conversation discusses different ways of solving a problem involving the equation of motion with springs. The first solution involves combining the spring series into Keq = K1⋅K2/(K1+K2) and plugging in values to get M×x" + α(K1)/(1+α) × (x + δst) = mg. The second solution is incorrect and should read K2(x-y)=K1x. The conversation also mentions the difficulty in understanding the relationship between K1 and K2 in the second solution.
LostMechE901
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
I'm having trouble understanding the forces involved when defining the equation of motion for this particular problem.
Question 4.JPG

So... I've seen the answer for the eq. of motion worked two different ways. The first way involves combining the spring series into Keq = K1⋅K2/(K1+K2). The answer, plugging in α(K1) for K2, comes out to be M×x" + α(K1)/(1+α) × (x + δst) = mg. The weight and static deflection cancel out, rendering the final answer M×x" + (x) × (α(K1)/(1+α)) = 0.

The 2nd way I've seen this problem worked is as follows:
Capture.JPG

In the 2nd solution, I don't understand how he figured the proportion K1⋅x = K2⋅y. When drawing my free body diagrams of the springs enacting forces upon each other, the only equations I can devise are K2(y-x) ∧ and K1⋅y ∧.

Is the 2nd solution incorrect? If it can be worked that way, how do you figure that relationship?

*Edit* I Just realized there is a specific engineering problem help section for threads like this. I apologize for misplacement in advance. :oops:

Attachments

• Question 4.JPG
    Question 4.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 677
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 1,133
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The 2nd solution is incorrect. The equation should read: $$K_2(x-y)=K_1x$$ This leads to the same result as in the first solution.

Related to Equation of Motion of a System of Springs (System Dynamics)

1. What is the equation of motion for a system of springs?

The equation of motion for a system of springs is F = -kx, where F is the force applied to the system, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position. This equation is known as Hooke's Law and describes the relationship between the force applied to a spring and the resulting displacement.

2. How does the number of springs in a system affect the equation of motion?

The number of springs in a system does not affect the equation of motion. Each spring will have its own equation of motion, but when combined, the overall equation will still follow the same F = -kx relationship.

3. What is the significance of the spring constant in the equation of motion?

The spring constant, k, represents the stiffness of the spring. A higher spring constant means a stiffer spring, while a lower spring constant means a more flexible spring. This constant is a measure of the force needed to produce a certain amount of displacement in the spring.

4. Can the equation of motion be used to predict the behavior of a system of springs?

Yes, the equation of motion can be used to predict the behavior of a system of springs. By knowing the force applied to the system and the spring constant, one can determine the resulting displacement of the springs. This allows for the analysis and understanding of the system's dynamics.

5. Are there any limitations to the equation of motion for a system of springs?

Yes, the equation of motion for a system of springs assumes that the springs are ideal and behave linearly. This means that the force applied is directly proportional to the displacement and there is no energy lost due to friction or other factors. In real-world scenarios, these assumptions may not hold true, leading to limitations in the accuracy of the predicted behavior of the system.