Equation of motion of a dampened pendulum

In summary: You will get some number that depends on ##B_1, B_2, r,s## and will also depend on ##t##. Since you are interested in the fractional decrease in amplitude after 2 hours, you can compare this value to the amplitude at ##t = 0## and see how much it has changed. To get the fractional change, you just divide the change by the original amplitude.
Physics Dad

Homework Statement

Hi, I have the following question...

A pendulum consisting of a mass of 1kg is suspended from a string of length L. Air resistance causes a damping force of bv where b = 10-3 N/m

1) Derive and solve the equation of motion
2) Calculate the fractional decrease in amplitude of the pendulum oscillations if the pendulum is operated for 2 hours.

Homework Equations

F=ma
F=-kx
x(t)=A0eαt

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have the derivation handled...

F=ma=-kx-bv
ma+bv+kx=0
m(d2x/dt2)+b(dx/dt)+kx=0
d2x/dt2+(b/m)(dx/dt)+(k/m)x=0

As this is a pendulum, I know x=Lsinθ and for small θ sinθ≈θ so...

d2θ/dt2+(b/m)(dθ/dt)+(k/m)θ=0

I also know that k=mg/L so...

d2θ/dt2+(b/m)(dθ/dt)+(g/L)θ=0

Therefore, I get the equation of motion for the dampened pendulum to be:

Now to solve the equation, I can turn it into a quadratic:

α=(-(b/m)±(√(b2/m2)-(4g/L))/2

I can tidy this up a little, so...

α=-(b/2m)±(√(b2/2m2)-(4g/L))

I know that √g/L = ω so and -√g/L = iω which I can take out as a factor so and tidy up the fraction inside the radical, so...

α=-(b/2m)±iω√1-(b2L/2)

I also know that I can let ϑ=ω√1-(b2/4m2ω2) so...

α=-(b/2m)±iϑ

I am assuming that this is the equation solved as I don't have a value for L and so can't go any further (can I?)

As for calculating the fractional decrease, if I sub this back into the equation:

x(t)=A0eαt I get...

x(t)=A0e(-b/2m)t+eiϑt

But I really don't know where to go from here, if, if anywhere?

Do I simply rearrange the first part so...

x(t)/A0=e-18/5 so...

x(t)/A0=0.0273

Any help gratefully received!

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics Dad said:

Homework Statement

Hi, I have the following question...

A pendulum consisting of a mass of 1kg is suspended from a string of length L. Air resistance causes a damping force of bv where b = 10-3 N/m

1) Derive and solve the equation of motion
2) Calculate the fractional decrease in amplitude of the pendulum oscillations if the pendulum is operated for 2 hours.

Homework Equations

F=ma
F=-kx
x(t)=A0eαt

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have the derivation handled...

F=ma=-kx-bv
ma+bv+kx=0
m(d2x/dt2)+b(dx/dt)+kx=0
d2x/dt2+(b/m)(dx/dt)+(k/m)x=0

As this is a pendulum, I know x=Lsinθ and for small θ sinθ≈θ so...

d2θ/dt2+(b/m)(dθ/dt)+(k/m)θ=0

I also know that k=mg/L so...

Therefore, I get the equation of motion for the dampened pendulum to be:

Now to solve the equation, I can turn it into a quadratic:

α=(-(b/m)±(√(b2/m2)-(4g/L))/2

I can tidy this up a little, so...

α=-(b/2m)±(√(b2/2m2)-(4g/L))

I know that √g/L = ω so and -√g/L = iω which I can take out as a factor so and tidy up the fraction inside the radical, so...

α=-(b/2m)±iω√1-(b2L/2)

I also know that I can let ϑ=ω√1-(b2/4m2ω2) so...

α=-(b/2m)±iϑ

I am assuming that this is the equation solved as I don't have a value for L and so can't go any further (can I?)

As for calculating the fractional decrease, if I sub this back into the equation:

x(t)=A0eαt I get...

x(t)=A0e(-b/2m)t+eiϑt

But I really don't know where to go from here, if, if anywhere?

Do I simply rearrange the first part so...

x(t)/A0=e-18/5 so...

x(t)/A0=0.0273

Any help gratefully received!

You can write the solution either as
$$x = A_1 e^{-rt}e^{i st} + A_2 e^{-rt} e^{-ist}, $$
or as
$$x = B_1 e^{-rt} \cos(st) + B_2 e^{-rt} \sin(st),$$
where ##r## and ##s## are related to your constants ##m, k, b##. If you choose the second form you just need to determine the constants ##B_1, B_2##, which you can do from the initial conditions (position and velocity at ##t = 0##).

Last edited:
thanks for that,

I kind of get what you're saying, using the second equation, when t=0, x=B1

I am still confused as to what to do when t=7200 though

Physics Dad said:
thanks for that,

I kind of get what you're saying, using the second equation, when t=0, x=B1

I am still confused as to what to do when t=7200 though
You need to use one more piece of information in order to determine the constant ##B_2##. For example, if the pendulum bob is released at zero velocity from initial position ##x_0## then you have ##x(0) = x_0## and ##\dot{x}(0) = 0##. From those two conditions you can get both ##B_1## and ##B_2## in terms of ##x_0, r,s##.

Then, you just need to plug in ##t = 7200## into your formula for ##x(t)## and evaluate it.

Last edited:

Related to Equation of motion of a dampened pendulum

1. What is the equation of motion of a dampened pendulum?

The equation of motion for a dampened pendulum is given by mL2θ'' + bθ' + mgLsin(θ) = 0, where m is the mass of the pendulum, L is the length of the pendulum, b is the damping coefficient, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angular displacement of the pendulum.

2. How is the equation of motion of a dampened pendulum derived?

The equation of motion of a dampened pendulum is derived using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In the case of a pendulum, the forces acting on it are gravity and the damping force due to air resistance. By equating these forces to the mass times the acceleration, the equation of motion can be derived.

3. What does the term "damping" refer to in the equation of motion of a dampened pendulum?

The term "damping" in the equation of motion refers to the resistance force that acts on the pendulum due to air resistance. This force decreases the amplitude of the pendulum's oscillations, causing it to eventually come to rest.

4. How does the damping coefficient affect the motion of a dampened pendulum?

The damping coefficient, represented by the variable b in the equation of motion, determines the strength of the damping force acting on the pendulum. A higher damping coefficient means a stronger damping force, which will cause the pendulum to come to rest more quickly. On the other hand, a lower damping coefficient will result in slower decay of the pendulum's oscillations.

5. Can the equation of motion of a dampened pendulum be solved analytically?

The equation of motion of a dampened pendulum cannot be solved analytically, meaning there is no closed-form solution. Instead, numerical methods must be used to approximate the motion of the pendulum over time. However, for certain specific cases, such as small oscillations, an analytical solution may be possible.