Equation of Motion in Heisenberg Picture

In summary, the conversation discusses the harmonic oscillator potential and the operator Z in the Schrodinger picture. The equation of motion for Z in the Heisenberg picture is determined, and the solution for Z as a function of time is obtained using the equation of motion and the operator U. The Hamiltonian is written in terms of raising and lowering operators to simplify the computation of the commutator. The final result is that Z(t) remains constant due to the derivative of Z(t) being equal to zero.
QuarksAbove

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is in a harmonic oscillator potential with spring constant k. An observable quantity is given in the Schrodinger picture by the operator:

[itex] Z = a^{\dagger}a a^{\dagger} a [/itex]

a) Determine the equation of motion of the operator in the Heisenberg picture

b) Solve the equation of motion to calculate the form of Z as a function of time.

Homework Equations

[itex]i\hbar \frac{dZ(t)}{dt} = [Z(t),H] [/itex]

[itex] Z(t) = U^{\dagger}ZU [/itex]

[itex] U = e^{-iHt/\hbar} [/itex]

[itex] <Z>_{t} = <\psi(x,0) | Z(t) |\psi(x,0)> [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a)

From a textbook, it said the equation of motion for a time-independent operator (schrodinger picture) in the Heisenberg picture is:
[itex]i\hbar \frac{dZ(t)}{dt} = [Z(t),H] [/itex]

Where I am assuming [itex] H = \frac{p^2}{2m} + 1/2kx^2 [/itex] because it's a harmonic oscillator.

Is that it for this part of the problem? Just write it down? Seems a bit silly to me.

b)

This part is confusing to me. It asks for me to solve the equation of motion to get Z as a function of time. However, can't I just use

[itex] Z(t) = U^{\dagger}ZU [/itex]

[itex] U = e^{-iHt/\hbar} [/itex]

[itex] <Z>_{t} = <\psi(x,0) | Z(t) |\psi(x,0)> [/itex]

to obtain Z as a function of time? I assume this because I know with the creation and annihilation operators, I can act on [itex] <\psi(x,0)| [/itex] to (if I assume the ground state) eliminate some operators in Z(t).

Okay so this is the method I think I should go with??

writing out the last equation above, I get:

[itex] <Z>_{t} = <\psi(x,0) | U^{\dagger}ZU|\psi(x,0)> [/itex]

[itex] <Z>_{t} = <\psi(x,0) | U^{\dagger}a^{\dagger}a a^{\dagger} aU|\psi(x,0)> [/itex]

now I am stuck and not convinced i am going about this problem correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write the Hamiltonian in terms of raising and lowering operators?

Ah! yes! I completely forgot about that.

[itex] H = (a^{\dagger}a + 1/2)\hbar \omega [/itex]
I know what to do now. I compute the commutator using Z, and the U's will go away because they commute with H.

Thank you!

in the end I got that Z(t) = Z because

dz(t)/dt = 0 which means that z(t) = some constant.

Related to Equation of Motion in Heisenberg Picture

1. What is the Heisenberg picture in quantum mechanics?

The Heisenberg picture is one of the two commonly used formulations in quantum mechanics, named after Werner Heisenberg. In this picture, the operators representing physical observables have time dependence, while the state vectors are time-independent.

2. What is the equation of motion in the Heisenberg picture?

The equation of motion in the Heisenberg picture is given by the Heisenberg equations of motion. These equations describe how the operators representing physical observables evolve in time. They are derived from the Schrödinger equation and include the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of the system.

3. How is the Heisenberg picture different from the Schrödinger picture?

In the Schrödinger picture, the state vectors have time dependence while the operators are time-independent. This is the more commonly used formulation in quantum mechanics. In contrast, the Heisenberg picture has time-dependent operators and time-independent state vectors. Both pictures are mathematically equivalent and can be used to solve quantum mechanical problems.

4. What are the advantages of using the Heisenberg picture?

The Heisenberg picture is often preferred in certain situations, such as dealing with time-dependent systems or when there are many operators involved. In such cases, the Heisenberg equations of motion can simplify the calculations compared to the Schrödinger picture. Additionally, the Heisenberg picture is closely related to classical mechanics, making it useful for understanding the classical limit of quantum systems.

5. How is the Heisenberg picture used in practice?

The Heisenberg picture is used extensively in theoretical and experimental studies in quantum mechanics. It is particularly useful in areas such as quantum field theory and quantum optics. In practice, the Heisenberg equations of motion are solved to obtain the time evolution of operators, which can then be used to calculate physical quantities and make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems.