Equation of motion: Help with DiffEq (2nd order non linear)

In summary: Eventually the mobile charge crashes into the fixed charge, and x'' goes to infinity.In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to solve the differential equation for the equation of motion of a point charge under the influence of another point charge's electric field. The two point charges, A and B, have opposite charges and will attract each other. The equation of motion is derived using the force equation and the initial conditions are given. However, a simple solution cannot be found and the conversation ends with a discussion of the behavior of the mobile charge as it falls towards the fixed charge.
Adoniram
I am trying to solve the differential equation that will give me the equation of motion of a point charge under the influence of another point charge's electric field.

Say point charge A is free to move, and it currently a distance D away from point charge B. Point charge B is fixed in space.

Say charge A has q = +q, and charge B has q = -q. The two charges will attract.

Ignoring all other influences (gravity, etc), charge A should experience a force F = qE, where E is the field due to charge B, or:
F = -(k q^2)/r^2
where k = 1/4πε (imagine that ε is the permittivity of free space; I'm using the available symbols)

Solving for equations of motion, I use:
ma = -(k q^2)/r^2

or
a = -(k q^2)/(m r^2)

Putting it another way, r → r[t], a → r''[t]
Then I get:
r[t]2 r''[t] = -(k q^2)/m

Or
r[t]2 r''[t] = C

How do I solve that differential equation? It is a 2nd order non-linear diff eq... The Mathematica answer I get is very complicated, but I'm hoping someone can help me out with this one.

Also, I can use the following initial conditions:
r[0]=D
r'[0]=0

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Adoniram said:
I am trying to solve the differential equation that will give me the equation of motion of a point charge under the influence of another point charge's electric field.

Say point charge A is free to move, and it currently a distance D away from point charge B. Point charge B is fixed in space.

Say charge A has q = +q, and charge B has q = -q. The two charges will attract.

Ignoring all other influences (gravity, etc), charge A should experience a force F = qE, where E is the field due to charge B, or:
F = -(k q^2)/r^2
where k = 1/4πε (imagine that ε is the permittivity of free space; I'm using the available symbols)

Solving for equations of motion, I use:
ma = -(k q^2)/r^2

or
a = -(k q^2)/(m r^2)

Putting it another way, r → r[t], a → r''[t]
Then I get:
r[t]2 r''[t] = -(k q^2)/m

Or
r[t]2 r''[t] = C

How do I solve that differential equation? It is a 2nd order non-linear diff eq... The Mathematica answer I get is very complicated, but I'm hoping someone can help me out with this one.

Also, I can use the following initial conditions:
r[0]=D
r'[0]=0

Thanks!

You can do it in three stages:

1) First, multiply by ##r'## (integrating factor) to get:

##\frac{d}{dt}(r'^2) = \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{-2C}{r})##

2) (The key trick): Let ##r = Dcos^2\theta##

This leads to:

##(cos^2\theta)\theta ' = \sqrt{\frac{-C}{2D^3}}##

3) Integrate to get:

##2\theta + sin(2\theta) = \sqrt{\frac{-8C}{D^3}}t##

So no simple solution. I typed x'' = -1/x^2 here and it came back with this picture:

http://www4c.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP12181g1a4ceci2e2i16500005a8e262bb5i0g8e3?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=10&w=388.&h=101.
Got the same picture doing a simple numeric integration with excel:

upload_2015-8-20_22-29-40.png

(x on the left axis, v and a on the right axis)Basically the mobile charge just "falls" towards the fixed charge in the same way a small mass falls towards a planet: initially slowly (the change in attractive force is small) and then accelerating faster and faster.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Equation of motion: Help with DiffEq (2nd order non linear)

1. What is an equation of motion?

An equation of motion is a mathematical representation of the physical laws that govern the motion of an object. It describes the relationship between an object's position, velocity, acceleration, and time.

2. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that relates a function to its derivatives, which represent the rate of change of the function. It is commonly used to model dynamic systems in physics and engineering.

3. What is a second order non-linear differential equation?

A second order non-linear differential equation is a type of differential equation where the highest derivative of the function is squared or has a non-linear relationship with the function. These equations can be more complex and difficult to solve compared to linear equations.

4. How can I solve a second order non-linear differential equation?

There are various methods for solving second order non-linear differential equations, such as substitution, separation of variables, and series solutions. It is important to carefully analyze the equation and choose an appropriate method for solving it.

5. Why is it important to understand equations of motion?

Understanding equations of motion is crucial for accurately predicting and analyzing the motion of objects in the physical world. It allows us to make precise calculations and predictions in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.