Equation of Motion for a Disk inside a Rotating Ring

In summary: I may have the solution to the problem...In summary, the posted solution on the Mathematica website is wrong and does not reflect the rolling without slipping constraint that is said to exist between the ring and the disk.
Angelo Niforatos
[Mentor's note : No template as this thread was moved from the technical forums]

Hi all! I am working on finding the Lagrangian for the situation stated in the title. This is actually a Wolfram Mathematica demonstration as well in which they give you the Lagrangian. I am working on re-deriving it.

I seem to be missing four terms in my Lagrangina that I believe stems from my equation for Kinetic energy of the disk and ring. The answer can be found in the link provided. http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/DiskRollingInsideARotatingRing/

My attempt at the solution is below.

Position of disk: $$ r(t) = (R-r)\sin\theta \hat{x} - (R-r)\cos\theta \hat{y} $$
Velocity of Disk $$\dot{r} = (R-r)\dot{\theta}\cos\theta \hat{x} + (R-r)\dot{\theta}\sin\theta \hat{y}$$
Velocity of Ring $$\dot{r} = -R\dot{\phi}\sin\phi \hat{x} + R\dot{\phi}\cos\phi \hat{y}$$
Total Kinetic Energy for ring and disk: T = $$\frac{1}{2}I_{ring}\dot{\phi}^2 + \frac{1}{2}I_{disk}\dot{\alpha}^2 + \frac{1}{2}m_{disk}((R-r)^2\dot{\theta}^2) $$
Where alpha is given in the Wolfram Demonstartion that basically just says that since friction is sufficient enough for no slipping the disk should rotate with the ring.
Potential Energy: $$ U = -m_{disk}g(R-r)\cos\theta $$

The four terms I am missing are $$ \frac{1}{2}m_2(2Rr\dot{\theta}\dot{\phi}\cos\theta - 2R^2\dot{\theta}\dot{\phi}\cos\theta + I_{ring}R^2\dot{\phi}^2 + m_{ring}r^2R^2\dot{\phi}^2) $$

Or, $$m_{disk}R\dot{\phi}\dot{\theta}( (r-R)\cos\theta) + R^2\dot{\phi}^2(I_{ring} + m_{ring}r^2)$$
Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As is often the case, the most difficult part of the dynamics problem is in the kinematics!

Your work above does not reflect the rolling without slipping constraint that is said to exist between the ring and the disk. Go back to the Wolfram page and look at how they have incorporated this. It will make a world of difference!

Dr.D said:
As is often the case, the most difficult part of the dynamics problem is in the kinematics!

Your work above does not reflect the rolling without slipping constraint that is said to exist between the ring and the disk. Go back to the Wolfram page and look at how they have incorporated this. It will make a world of difference!

I thought I did incorporate it in my equation for kinetic energy where my ##\dot{\alpha}^2## is ##\dot{\Psi}^2##, I just nevery expanded it out in my kinetic energy equation. I still end up with no Cosine terms in my Lagrangian except for the potential energy of the disk. I was able to get an extra term so now I am missing three terms in my Kinetic energy and they are. $$\frac{1}{2}\frac{I_{ring}R^2\dot{\phi}^2}{r^2} - m_{disk}R\dot{\phi}\dot{\theta}(R-r)\cos\theta$$

Thank you for replying!

Here is my full Kinetic Energy equation from the information I gave above...
$$T = \frac{1}{2}I_{ring}\dot{\phi}^2 + \frac{1}{2r^2}I_{disk}(r^2\dot{\theta}^2 - 2rR\dot{\theta}^2 + R^2\dot{\theta}^2 + 2Rr\dot{\theta}\dot{\phi} - 2R^2\dot{\theta}\dot{\phi} + R^2\dot{\phi}^2) + \frac{1}{2}m_{disk}((R-r)^2\dot{\theta}^2)$$

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
After working on this problem for a while, both on a fresh formulation and also on trying to work backwards from the Mathematica website information, I can say with confidence that the posted solution on the Mathematica site is wrong. There should not be any cosine functions in the kinetic energy expression.

As formulated on the Mathematica site, there are two bodies, the disk and the ring.
1) The ring only rotates; it does not translate. This contributes only one term to the kinetic energy and nothing at all to the potential energy.
2) The disk both rotates and translates (the latter, with the CM moving on a circular path). This contributes a rotational term and a translational term to the kinetic energy, and it contributes one term (involving a cosine) to the potential energy.

As posted at the Mathematica site, the negative of the potential energy is the first term in the in the Lagrangian. It is correct as written there. That means that the remaining terms are all thought to be kinetic energy terms, but they are simply in error. It is unfortunate that the Mathematica author did not post more details, but we can only go by what he did post, and it is not correct. Therefore, the computer animation that he shows is entirely suspect. There is no reason to expect the solution to the wrong differential equations to give a correct picture.

The lesson: Don't believe everything your read on the Internet, not even when it is on the Mathematica website. Those folks are only human also.

Angelo Niforatos said:
Here is my full Kinetic Energy equation from the information I gave above...
$$T = \frac{1}{2}I_{ring}\dot{\phi}^2 + \frac{1}{2r^2}I_{disk}(r^2\dot{\theta}^2 - 2rR\dot{\theta}^2 + R^2\dot{\theta}^2 + 2Rr\dot{\theta}\dot{\phi} - 2R^2\dot{\theta}\dot{\phi} + R^2\dot{\phi}^2) + \frac{1}{2}m_{disk}((R-r)^2\dot{\theta}^2)$$

Thanks!
I agree.

Related to Equation of Motion for a Disk inside a Rotating Ring

1. What is the equation of motion for a disk inside a rotating ring?

The equation of motion for a disk inside a rotating ring is given by: m(d^2r/dt^2) = F + Fcentripetal + Fcoriolis + Fcentrifugal, where m is the mass of the disk, r is the radius of the disk, t is time, and F represents the different forces acting on the disk.

2. What is the significance of the centripetal force in this equation?

The centripetal force is the force that keeps the disk moving in a circular path inside the rotating ring. It is necessary for the disk to maintain its circular motion and is dependent on the mass of the disk, its velocity, and the radius of the circular path.

3. How does the Coriolis force affect the motion of the disk?

The Coriolis force is a fictitious force that arises due to the rotation of the reference frame. It acts perpendicular to the velocity of the disk and can cause the disk to deviate from its intended circular path. This force is proportional to the angular velocity of the rotating ring and the velocity of the disk.

4. What is the role of the centrifugal force in this equation?

The centrifugal force is another fictitious force that arises due to the rotation of the reference frame. It acts outward from the center of rotation and is proportional to the mass of the disk, its angular velocity, and the radius of the circular path. It counteracts the centripetal force and can affect the stability of the disk's motion.

5. How can this equation be applied in real-world scenarios?

The equation of motion for a disk inside a rotating ring can be used to analyze the motion of objects in a rotating system, such as satellites orbiting a planet or particles in a centrifuge. It can also be applied in the design and analysis of machinery that involves rotating components, such as engines and turbines.