Equation of ellipse: complex plane

In summary, the problem statement given does not uniquely specify an ellipse. A geometric definition of an ellipse is required in order to determine the distances between points on the ellipse and the foci. Furthermore, in order to uniquely specify a conic section, five points must be given.
jackscholar

Homework Statement

The question simply states that the focals are (0,2) and (2,-1) and I need to form an equation from it. I know that in complex form this would be |z-(0-2i)| + |z-(-2+i)| or more simply |z+2i|+|z+2-i|. Is this right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, in my textbook the examples always say "describe the locus of z(x,y) given that... and there will be an example such as the |z-2i|+|z+1|=4 the problem with what I've done is that it doesn't have an axis length and I don't know if I need one or how to find one.

Have you covered conic sections in the Cartesian plane?
How many points do you need to know to uniquely specify a conic section?

It looks to me like you are applying formulas without understanding them.

Note:
f=(2,-1) means f=2-i right?
So: |z-(-2+i)| = |z+(2-i)| = |z+f| ... is what you wrote isn't it?

jackscholar said:

Homework Statement

The question simply states that the focals are (0,2) and (2,-1) and I need to form an equation from it. I know that in complex form this would be |z-(0-2i)| + |z-(-2+i)| or more simply |z+2i|+|z+2-i|. Is this right?
"I know in complex form this would be". What would be? Grammatically, the only thing "this" could apply to is "an equation" but you don't have an equation!

Yes, if z is a point on the ellipse, the |z+ 2i| and |z+ 2- i| are the distances from that point to the two foci. The geometric definition of an ellipse is "The sum of the distances from any point on the ellipse to the foci is a constant." So you should have, not just "|z+ 2|+ |z+ 2+ i|" but that equal to some number.

That is what I wrote in regards to Simon Bridge. To uniquely specify a conic section you need five points, don't you? How do I determine the distances between those two points? The constant is equal to the major axis length, isn't it. In determining the major axis length I would be able to determine that |z+2|+|z+2+i|= whatever the number is?

jackscholar said:
That is what I wrote in regards to Simon Bridge.
It's what I was hoping to jog your memory towards, yes.
To uniquely specify a conic section you need five points, don't you?
Any three points on the curve will do.
I think you need to give yourself a refresher on conic sections.

Does the information in the problem statement you have written uniquely specify the ellipse?

How do I determine the distances between those two points? The constant is equal to the major axis length, isn't it.
You can easily check that by sketching an ellipse, and the line segments between each focus and a point where the ellipse crosses the major axis.

In determining the major axis length I would be able to determine that |z+2|+|z+2+i|= whatever the number is?
Are you given any clues to the major axis length, or to the location of any point on the ellipse?

Related to Equation of ellipse: complex plane

1. What is the equation of an ellipse in the complex plane?

The equation of an ellipse in the complex plane is |z-a|/a + |z-b|/b = 1, where z is a complex number, a and b are the distance from the center of the ellipse to the foci, and the absolute value bars represent the distance from a point on the ellipse to the foci.

2. How do you graph an ellipse in the complex plane?

To graph an ellipse in the complex plane, plot the foci points at (a,0) and (-a,0) and the vertices at (0,b) and (0,-b). Then, use the equation |z-a|/a + |z-b|/b = 1 to find points on the ellipse and plot them on the graph. The resulting graph will be an ellipse centered at the origin.

3. What is the major axis of an ellipse in the complex plane?

The major axis of an ellipse in the complex plane is the line segment that connects the two vertices of the ellipse. It is also the longest diameter of the ellipse and passes through the center and the two foci points.

4. How do you find the eccentricity of an ellipse in the complex plane?

The eccentricity of an ellipse in the complex plane can be found by using the formula e = c/a, where c is the distance from the center of the ellipse to one of the foci points and a is the distance from the center to one of the vertices. The eccentricity value will always be between 0 and 1.

5. Can a circle be considered an ellipse in the complex plane?

Yes, a circle can be considered as a special case of an ellipse in the complex plane where the distance from the center to the foci points is zero. This means that the equation of a circle in the complex plane is |z-a|/a = 1, where a is the radius of the circle.