Solving Advanced ODEs: Help Needed!

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems in an advanced ODE class. The first problem requires proving the existence of an equilibrium point for a shifted ODE with a parameter, while the second problem involves finding a change of coordinates that moves the equilibrium point to the origin. The conversation also provides some explanations and possible approaches for solving these problems.
kitsch_22
Hello and thanks in advance for anyone who can help at all. I have two problems that have stumped me.. I'm in an advanced ODE class. Here they are:

1) Consider the first order ODE f_a(x) where a is a parameter; let f_a(x0) = 0
for some solution x0 and also let f'_a(x0) != 0. Prove that the ODE
f_a+e(x) has an equlibrium point x0(e) where e -> x0(e) is a smooth function satisfying x0(0) = x0 for e sufficiently small.

2) Consider the system X' = F(X) where X is in R_n. Suppose F has an equilbrium point at X0. Show that there exists a change of coordinates that moves X0 to the origin and converts the system to X' = AX + G(X) where A is an nxn matrix which is the canonical form of DF_X0 and where G(X) satifies

lim (|G(X)| / |X|) = 0.
|X|->0

I am so lost on these...can anyone help pleeeeeeeeeease? :wink:

Michelle

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok let's see...

For 1), you are given the ODE with the parameter shifted by a small [tex]\epsilon[/tex], and you are required to show that this new ODE with [tex]\epsilon[/tex] will have an equilibrium, which is "close" to the original one. Since [tex]f_a[/tex] has nonzero gradient, continuity implies that [tex]f'_{a+\epsilon}[/tex] will also be nonzero for small [tex]\epsilon[/tex]. Invoking the existence theorem, there is a smooth equilibrium that depends on [tex]\epsilon[/tex]. Call this [tex]x_0(\epsilon,\cdot)[/tex]. By the dependence on parameters theorem, [tex]x_0(\epsilon,\cdot)\rightarrow x_0(\cdot)[/tex] as [tex]\epsilon\rightarrow0[/tex].

For 2), note that [tex]DF_{x_0}[/tex] being nonzero, implies that [tex]F[/tex] is a local diffeomorphism in a neighbouhood of [tex]x_0[/tex]. This grants us the validity of a local change of variables to [tex]y=F(x)[/tex]. Under [tex]F[/tex], the equilibrium is mapped to the origin. For the last part, note that [tex]F^{-1}[/tex] will have a similar Taylor expansion as [tex]F[/tex], and that a Taylor expansion for [tex]F[/tex] gives [tex]F(x)=F(x_0)+DF_{x_0}(x)+G(x)=0+A\cdot x+G(x)[/tex], where [tex]G[/tex] will contain higher order terms than [tex]|x|[/tex], and so [tex]G(x)=0(|x|)[/tex].

1. What are some strategies for solving advanced ODEs?

Some strategies for solving advanced ODEs include separation of variables, substitution, variation of parameters, and using power series.

2. How do I know which strategy to use for a specific ODE?

The strategy to use depends on the form of the ODE. For example, if the ODE is separable, then separation of variables is the best strategy. If the coefficients are not constant, then variation of parameters may be more suitable. It is important to understand the different strategies and practice applying them to different types of ODEs.

3. What are initial value problems and how do they relate to ODEs?

Initial value problems are a type of ODE that includes an initial condition, or a known value of the dependent variable at a specific point. They are important because they allow us to find a specific solution to the ODE, rather than a general solution.

4. Can software be used to solve advanced ODEs?

Yes, there are many software programs and packages available that can solve advanced ODEs. Some examples include MATLAB, Mathematica, and Maple. However, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and strategies for solving ODEs in order to properly interpret and use the results from these software programs.

5. How can I check if my solution to an ODE is correct?

One way to check the solution is by plugging it back into the original ODE and seeing if it satisfies the equation. Another way is to use a numerical method, such as Euler's method, to approximate the solution and compare it to the analytical solution. Additionally, you can use software to graph the solution and visually compare it to the ODE.