Equation of a Tilted Parabola?

• Thread starter Josiex3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parabola
In summary, to write the equation of a tilted parabola, use the form y = ax^2 + bx + c where a is the coefficient of the squared term, b is the coefficient of the linear term, and c is the constant term. A tilted parabola is a U-shaped curve that is not symmetrical about the y-axis and is slanted to the left or right depending on the coefficients a and b. To graph a tilted parabola, find the x-intercepts by setting y = 0, plot these points on the x-axis, find the y-intercept by setting x = 0, and plot this point on the y-axis. The axis of symmetry is a vertical line that passes through the
Josiex3
Hi, I'm trying to find the equation of a tilted parabola. I appreciate your help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's not a function. You could write it parametrically by rotating a parametric equation for an ordinary parabola.

Sure, I'd be happy to help you find the equation of a tilted parabola. A parabola is a type of quadratic function, which can be written in the form of y = ax^2 + bx + c. However, in order to tilt the parabola, we will need to introduce a new variable, k, which represents the tilt angle.

To find the equation of a tilted parabola, we will use the standard form of a quadratic function, y = a(x - h)^2 + k, where (h, k) represents the vertex of the parabola. In this case, h will represent the horizontal shift of the parabola, while k will represent the vertical shift.

To tilt the parabola, we will use the following formula: x' = xcos(k) - ysin(k) and y' = xsin(k) + ycos(k), where (x', y') represents the new coordinates of the points on the parabola after it has been tilted by an angle of k.

Substituting these new coordinates into the standard form of a quadratic function, we get the equation of a tilted parabola: y' = a(x' - h)^2 + k.

I hope this helps you find the equation of a tilted parabola. Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification. Good luck!

Related to Equation of a Tilted Parabola?

1. How do you write the equation of a tilted parabola?

The equation of a tilted parabola can be written in the form y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a is the coefficient of the squared term, b is the coefficient of the linear term, and c is the constant term. The coefficients a and b determine the tilt of the parabola.

2. What does a tilted parabola look like?

A tilted parabola is a U-shaped curve that is not symmetrical about the y-axis. It is slanted or tilted either to the left or to the right, depending on the values of the coefficients a and b in the equation.

3. How do you graph a tilted parabola?

To graph a tilted parabola, you can find the x-intercepts by setting y = 0 and solving for x. Then, plot these points on the x-axis. Next, find the y-intercept by setting x = 0 and solving for y. Plot this point on the y-axis. Finally, use other points on the parabola by choosing values for x and solving for y, or by using the vertex and the axis of symmetry.

4. What is the axis of symmetry of a tilted parabola?

The axis of symmetry of a tilted parabola is a vertical line that passes through the vertex of the parabola. It divides the parabola into two equal halves, and is perpendicular to the direction of the tilt of the parabola.

5. How do you find the vertex of a tilted parabola?

The vertex of a tilted parabola can be found by using the formula x = -b/2a, where a and b are the coefficients of the quadratic equation. This formula gives the x-coordinate of the vertex. To find the y-coordinate, substitute the x-coordinate into the original equation of the parabola.