Equation of a Tangent Line - PreCalc

In summary: I mean that method is the only way I know how to solve this problem and I must have messed up my FOILing like you said, but to be honest I don't know how to correct it, could you or someone please let me know?
KatelynO
Find the equation of the line with slope -1 that is tangent to the curve y = 1/(x-1).

The equation of a line with slope -1 is y = -x + k
The curve is y = 1/(x-1)

Set the y-values to each other: 1/(x-1) = -x + k
Rearrange and set equal to 0:
1 = -x² + x + k
x² - x + 1 – k = 0
Find the discriminant:
b²- 4ac = 0
(-1)² - 4(1)(1-k) = 0
1 - 4(1-k) = 0
1 – 4 + 4k = 0
k = 3/4
Therefore the equation of the tangent line is y = -x + 3/4 but I know this is wrong because after looking at the graph the lines do not intercept at this point, what am I doing wrong? Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
(x-1)*(-x+k) is not equal to -x^2+x+k. Multiply it out!

KatelynO said:
Find the equation of the line with slope -1 that is tangent to the curve y = 1/(x-1).

The equation of a line with slope -1 is y = -x + k
The curve is y = 1/(x-1)

Set the y-values to each other: 1/(x-1) = -x + k
Rearrange and set equal to 0:
1 = -x² + x + k
I get a different equation; namely,
1 = -x² +x + kx - k

I don't think this will help you, though, since I believe your strategy is flawed. The graph of y = 1/(x - 1) is a hyperbola, similar to the graph of y = 1/x translated to the right by one unit. The graph of the line, y = -x + k, will intersect either zero, one, or two points for each value of k. If you can figure out two values of k for which there is exactly one solution in x, each value of k will give you a line that is tangent to the hyperbola.

If what I said is difficult to follow, draw a graph of the hyperbola.
KatelynO said:
x² - x + 1 – k = 0
Find the discriminant:
b²- 4ac = 0
(-1)² - 4(1)(1-k) = 0
1 - 4(1-k) = 0
1 – 4 + 4k = 0
k = 3/4
Therefore the equation of the tangent line is y = -x + 3/4 but I know this is wrong because after looking at the graph the lines do not intercept at this point, what am I doing wrong? Any help is appreciated.

Actually, I think his method nearly works out if he corrects the FOILing error. In a quick piece of work, I came up with values for K that are of opposite sign of what they should be, but that could be an error on my part for not devoting too much time to that method.

Since it's a PreCalc class, I wouldn't expect him to be too familiar differentiation beyond maybe power-rule, but using the chain-rule on the function and setting the derivative equal to -1, then solving for x, then solving for y, and replacing that information into y_1=-x_1+k_1 and y_2=-x_2+k_2 (1 and 2 being subscript for the two cases), you can reliably find values for k that fit the condition.

Sure. It works fine. If you have the correct equation for k, solving it gives you the same two lines you would get using calculus methods.

Apphysicist said:
Actually, I think his method nearly works out if he corrects the FOILing error. In a quick piece of work, I came up with values for K that are of opposite sign of what they should be, but that could be an error on my part for not devoting too much time to that method.

Since it's a PreCalc class, I wouldn't expect him to be too familiar differentiation beyond maybe power-rule, but using the chain-rule on the function and setting the derivative equal to -1, then solving for x, then solving for y, and replacing that information into y_1=-x_1+k_1 and y_2=-x_2+k_2 (1 and 2 being subscript for the two cases), you can reliably find values for k that fit the condition.

I think you're on to something I mean that method is the only way I know how to solve this problem and I must have messed up my FOILing like you said, but to be honest I don't know how to correct it, could you or someone please let me know? I wasn't sure what to do with the 1/(x-1).
Thank you

You have 1/(x-1) = -x + k, which is fine.

Multiply both sides of this equation by x - 1, which gives you the equation 1 = (x - 1)(-x + k).

See if you can expand the right side to get something different than you got before.

Please don't expect us to do this work for you...

Apphysicist said:
Actually, I think his method nearly works out if he corrects the FOILing error.
Apphysicist said:
Since it's a PreCalc class, I wouldn't expect him to be too familiar differentiation beyond maybe power-rule

I would guess that KatelynO is a "she."

Mark44 said:

Multiply both sides of this equation by x - 1, which gives you the equation 1 = (x - 1)(-x + k).

See if you can expand the right side to get something different than you got before.

I don't expect anyone to do it for me, I just didn't remember the method to convert the fraction believe me I know the only way to learn is to do it yourself, I just got stuck on this part of the problem. Thank you though, I appreciate the help.

Mark44 said:

Alright so I redid the equation and expanded it to
1 = -x² + kx + x – k and then set it to zero like I was taught to do.
0 = -x² + x + kx – k – 1
But now I have too many values to find the discriminant in which there should only be a, b and c as I'm sure you already know, thank you for bearing with me, I just really want to understand this.

And yes I am a girl thank you for pointing that out :)

Write that as (-1)*x^2+(k+1)*x+(-k-1)=0. Compare that with ax^2+bx+c=0. Can you identity a, b and c now?

Dick said:
Write that as (-1)*x^2+(k+1)*x+(-k-1)=0. Compare that with ax^2+bx+c=0. Can you identity a, b and c now?

Oh my goodness! That works! That's it ahhhh I'm so happy thank you! :)
One more thing though so that I know for the future, how did you rearrange the (k+1)*x from the original x + kx?? Thank you again!

Very welcome. You seem to be kind of tentative about using the distributive law. ab+ac=a(b+c). It's true. You can trust me. I wrote x+kx=1*x+k*x and factored out the x.

Dick said:
Very welcome. You seem to be kind of tentative about using the distributive law. ab+ac=a(b+c). It's true. You can trust me. I wrote x+kx=1*x+k*x and factored out the x.

Hmm I'll have to study the Distributive Law more then I guess I'm not familiar enough with it and I know it's very important thank you again, I really appreciate the help!

Related to Equation of a Tangent Line - PreCalc

1. What is the equation of a tangent line?

The equation of a tangent line is a mathematical representation of a line that touches a curve at a single point. It is used to find the slope of the curve at that point.

2. How do you find the equation of a tangent line?

To find the equation of a tangent line, you need to know the coordinates of the point where the line touches the curve. Then, you can use the slope formula or the derivative of the curve to calculate the slope at that point. Finally, you can use the point-slope form of a line to write the equation of the tangent line.

3. What is the point-slope form of a line?

The point-slope form of a line is y - y1 = m(x - x1), where (x1, y1) is a point on the line and m is the slope of the line. This form is useful for writing the equation of a line when you know the slope and a point on the line.

4. Can you have multiple tangent lines to a curve at the same point?

No, a tangent line is a unique line that touches a curve at a single point. However, there can be multiple lines that pass through the same point and have the same slope as the tangent line.

5. How is the equation of a tangent line used in calculus?

The equation of a tangent line is used in calculus to find the derivative of a function at a specific point. The slope of the tangent line is equal to the derivative of the function at that point. It is also used to approximate the behavior of a curve near a certain point.