Equation of a line in complex plane

In summary: So when we say "a complex line" we mean a 2-dimensional object. This is why in ℂ, we have a line determined by 2 points, which is different from the real case where 2 points determine a single line.In summary, the derivation of the equation of a line on the complex plane involves identifying (x,y) in R^2 with x+iy in C. This is done by rewriting the real plane line equation, ax+by+c=0, in complex form using the substitutions x = (z+bar{z})/2 and y = (z-bar{z})/(2i). This process does not require writing ax+by+c=0 as ax+biy+c=
4everphysics
All the derivation of the equation of line on complex plane uses the fact that (x,y) \in R^2 can be identified with x+iy \in C.

Thus, they begin with ax+by+c = 0 then re-write x = (z+\bar{z})/2 and y = (z-\bar{z})/(2i), and substitute it into real plane line equation to get it in complex form.

What I don't quite understand is, since (x,y) is identified with (x,iy),

don't we need to write ax+by+c=0 into ax+biy+c=0 before we proceed with the substitution? Why don't we need to do such thing?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi 4everphysics! :smile:
4everphysics said:
What I don't quite understand is, since (x,y) is identified with (x,iy)

(x,iy) is not in ℂ :wink:

ℂ is a set whose elements are single items (traditionally called "z")

ℂ is not a direct product of two sets, with elements that are ordered pairs

In other words, we are not "identifying (x, y) with (x, iy)". We are identifying the pair of real numbers, (x, y) with the single complex number x+ iy.

Still, one thing that I think is good to take into account is that a complex line is 2-dimensional as a real object. Notice that the 1st complex projective space is a 2-sphere, but 1st real projective space is a circle.

I can provide an explanation for why we don't need to write ax+biy+c=0 before proceeding with the substitution. In the complex plane, the coordinates are represented by a complex number z=x+iy, where x and y are real numbers. This means that when we substitute the values of x and y into the equation ax+by+c=0, we are essentially substituting the complex number z into the equation. Since z is already in the form of x+iy, there is no need to rewrite the equation in the form of ax+biy+c=0. By substituting z into the equation, we are essentially taking into account both the real and imaginary components of the complex number. This is why we can proceed with the substitution without needing to rewrite the equation in the form of ax+biy+c=0.

Related to Equation of a line in complex plane

1. What is the equation of a line in the complex plane?

The equation of a line in the complex plane is given by y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. This equation is similar to the equation of a line in the Cartesian plane, but in the complex plane, the coordinates of a point are represented by complex numbers.

2. How do you find the slope of a line in the complex plane?

The slope of a line in the complex plane can be found by dividing the change in the imaginary part by the change in the real part of any two points on the line. This can be represented as m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1).

3. Can a line in the complex plane be vertical?

No, a line in the complex plane cannot be vertical because the imaginary part of a complex number can never be equal to infinity. This means that the denominator of the slope formula can never be zero, which is a requirement for a line to be vertical.

4. How do you graph a line in the complex plane?

To graph a line in the complex plane, you can plot any two points on the line and then use a ruler to draw a line passing through those points. Alternatively, you can use the slope-intercept form of the equation to plot the y-intercept and then use the slope to plot additional points on the line.

5. Can a line in the complex plane have a negative slope?

Yes, a line in the complex plane can have a negative slope. The sign of the slope is determined by the direction in which the line is moving as you move along the real axis. If the line moves towards the left, the slope will be negative, and if it moves towards the right, the slope will be positive.