Equation in a paper about Dicke states

In summary, the conversation discusses how to arrive at equation (4) in the paper 'Entanglement detection in the vicinity of arbitrary Dicke states'. The equation is a rewriting of the formula for calculating variance, using the concept of Dicke states. It is a sum of two terms, one representing the squared expectation value of the sum of all Jx operators, and the other representing the sum of the squared fluctuations of each individual Jx operator.
Danny Boy
Can anyone with basic knowledge of Dicke States assist with explaining how we arrive at equation (4) in the paper 'Entanglement detection in the vicinity of arbitrary Dicke states': <Moderator's note: link fixed>

$$\langle J^2_{x} \rangle_{\mu} = \sum_{i_1,i_2} \langle J_{xi_{_1}} \rangle_{\mu} \langle J_{xi_{_2}} \rangle_{\mu} + \sum_{i}\langle ( \Delta J_{xi})^2 \rangle_{\mu}~~~~~~~~~~~~~(4)$$

Any assistance is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not very knowledgeable about Dicke states, but isn't that equation simply a rewriting of
$$
\sigma^2 = \langle (\Delta x)^2 \rangle = \langle x^2 \rangle - \langle x \rangle^2
$$

@DrClaude Yes I think you are correct. Since ##J_{x}= \sum_{i=1}^{k}J_{xi}## it follows that $$\langle J_{x} \rangle^{2}_{\mu} = \langle \sum_{i=1}^{k}J_{xi} \rangle_{\mu}^{2} = \sum_{i_1, i_2} \langle J_{xi_1}\rangle_{\mu}\langle J_{xi_2} \rangle_{\mu}$$ and $$\langle ( \Delta J_x )^2 \rangle = \sum_{i} \langle ( \Delta J_{xi})^2 \rangle_{\mu}$$ hence $$\sum_{i}\langle ( \Delta J_{xi})^2 \rangle_{\mu} = \langle J^2_{x} \rangle_{\mu} - \sum_{i_1,i_2}\langle J_{xi_{1}}\rangle_{\mu}\langle J_{xi_2}\rangle_{\mu}$$

Related to Equation in a paper about Dicke states

1. What are Dicke states?

Dicke states are a set of entangled quantum states that are used to model collective behavior in systems of multiple particles. They were first proposed by Robert H. Dicke in 1954.

2. How are Dicke states represented mathematically?

Dicke states are represented using a tensor product of single-particle states. For example, the Dicke state with N particles in the excited state and M particles in the ground state would be represented as |N,M⟩ = |1⟩⊗|1⟩⊗...⊗|1⟩⊗|0⟩⊗...⊗|0⟩.

3. What is the significance of Dicke states in quantum information processing?

Dicke states have been studied for their potential applications in quantum information processing, specifically in quantum computing and quantum communication. They have been shown to have properties such as robustness against noise and efficient entanglement generation, making them useful in these fields.

4. How are Dicke states experimentally realized?

Dicke states have been experimentally realized in a variety of systems, including trapped ions, superconducting circuits, and atoms in optical lattices. These systems allow for precise control and manipulation of the individual particles, making it possible to create and study Dicke states.

5. What are some potential applications of Dicke states beyond quantum information processing?

Dicke states have also been studied in other fields, such as quantum metrology and quantum sensing. They have been proposed as a tool for enhancing the precision of measurements, and have been experimentally demonstrated in systems such as atomic ensembles and spin systems. Additionally, Dicke states have been investigated for their potential use in quantum simulations, as they can mimic the behavior of complex quantum systems and allow for the study of quantum dynamics.