Equation for upward motion of the particle with air drag

In summary: It is a bit tricky to realize that, but once you do, you can simply look at the dimensions of the choices and pick the only one that matches. I agree it would have been nicer to have a different letter for that constant, but that's life.
usha

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is thrown upward with velocity v and there is retarding air resistance proportional to the square of the velocity with proportionality constant k. if the particle attains a maximum height after time t, and g is the gravitational acceleration, what is the velocity v?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

if i take D=kv2 and now two forces act on the particle F=mg and the retarding force but the options here are a) √(k/g)tan[√(g/k)t]
b)√(gk) tan [√(g/k)t]
c) √(g/k) tan[√(gk)t]
d) √(gk) tan[√(gk)t]
so i m having problem in figuring out how this tan factor come in ...

Physics news on Phys.org
usha said:

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is thrown upward with velocity v and there is retarding air resistance proportional to the square of the velocity with proportionality constant k. if the particle attains a maximum height after time t, and g is the gravitational acceleration, what is the velocity v?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

if i take D=kv2 and now two forces act on the particle F=mg and the retarding force but the options here are a) √(k/g)tan[√(g/k)t]
b)√(gk) tan [√(g/k)t]
c) √(g/k) tan[√(gk)t]
d) √(gk) tan[√(gk)t]
so i m having problem in figuring out how this tan factor come in ...

Let me just clean this up:

If I take ##D = kv^2 ## and now two forces act on the particle ##F = mg## and the retarding force (##D##?) but the options here are:
a) ##\sqrt{k/g}\ tan(\sqrt{g/k}\ t)##
b) ##\sqrt{gk}\ tan(\sqrt{g/k}\ t)##
c) ##\sqrt{g/k}\ tan(\sqrt{gk}\ t)##
a) ##\sqrt{gk}\ tan(\sqrt{gk}\ t)##

right?
Is the [edit]retarding[edit] force you're referring to ##D##?

Where did you get these options? Are these supposed to be final answers? Multiple choice question I'm assuming, no?

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
usha said:
If I take ##D = kv^2 ## and now two forces act on the particle ##F = mg## and the retarding force
So what equation do you get for the motion?

Did you make a typo in the answer options, or have you defined ##k## wrongly?

I don't think any of the options have the correct dimensions. For example the expressions inside ##\tan(\cdots)## are not dimensionless.

AlephZero said:
Did you make a typo in the answer options, or have you defined ##k## wrongly?

I don't think any of the options have the correct dimensions. For example the expressions inside ##\tan(\cdots)## are not dimensionless.

How true... looks like the question should have said the drag force is mkv2; or maybe k in each option should be replaced by k/m.
Btw, if we assume that one of the options is then correct, the question can be answered merely by selecting the one with the right dimensions everywhere. There is no need to find or solve any equations of motion. Quick, but somewhat unsatisfactory, since we never get to discover how the tan function comes into it.

haruspex said:
How true... looks like the question should have said the drag force is mkv2

That doesn't make much physical sense, because the drag force depends on the shape of the object but not on its mass.

Maybe the best option is wait for the OP to come back.

AlephZero said:
That doesn't make much physical sense, because the drag force depends on the shape of the object but not on its mass.
I did not mean to suggest that such a k would have a physical meaning. I agree that the choice of k as the letter suggests the force should be kv2, because k is commonly used that way in this context. But given that m is fixed here, there's nothing to stop the question setter from choosing to define k as force/(mv2).

this question is from JEST 2013 (joint entrance screening test) and the answer is supposed to be (c) according to the answer key.

usha said:
this question is from JEST 2013 (joint entrance screening test) and the answer is supposed to be (c) according to the answer key.

If we ignore the 'missing mass' problem, and take the drag equation to be F = mkv2, option (c) is the only one that's dimensionally correct. Do you see that?

oh!.. yes never thought of taking F = mkv2... now i see it...thanks

My guess is
Fnet = -Fweight - Fdrag = m ⋅ dv/dt
-m ⋅ g - k ⋅ v² = m ⋅ dv/dt
dv/(k / m ⋅ v² + g) = -dt

Notice that
∫1/(1 + x²)dx = atan(x)
Then
v(t) = √( g ⋅ m / k ) ⋅ tan( -t ⋅ √( g ⋅ k / m ))
assuming initial velocity is 0

Magic Johnson said:
My guess is
Fnet = -Fweight - Fdrag = m ⋅ dv/dt
-m ⋅ g - k ⋅ v² = m ⋅ dv/dt
dv/(k / m ⋅ v² + g) = -dt

Notice that
∫1/(1 + x²)dx = atan(x)
Then
v(t) = √( g ⋅ m / k ) ⋅ tan( -t ⋅ √( g ⋅ k / m ))
assuming initial velocity is 0
Yes, but the difficulty was that does not match any of the offered choices. To get one of those, you have to realize that k here need not be what you expect. You are only told it is a constant of proportionality, so it need not conform to the equation "drag=kv2".

Related to Equation for upward motion of the particle with air drag

1. What is the equation for upward motion of a particle with air drag?

The equation for upward motion of a particle with air drag is given by:
v(t) = v0 - gt - (D/m)v0(1 - e-(m/D)t)
where v(t) is the velocity at time t, v0 is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, D is the drag coefficient, and m is the mass of the particle.

2. How is air drag incorporated into the equation for upward motion of a particle?

Air drag is incorporated into the equation through the term (D/m)v0(1 - e-(m/D)t). This term represents the force of air resistance acting on the particle, which is dependent on the drag coefficient (D), the mass of the particle (m), and the initial velocity (v0).

3. What is the significance of the drag coefficient in the equation?

The drag coefficient (D) represents the resistance of the medium (in this case, air) to the motion of the particle. A higher drag coefficient means that the particle experiences a greater amount of air resistance, thus slowing down its upward motion more quickly.

4. How does the mass of the particle affect the equation for upward motion with air drag?

The mass of the particle (m) is directly incorporated into the equation through the term (D/m). This means that a heavier particle will experience a larger force of air resistance, causing it to slow down more quickly than a lighter particle with the same initial velocity and drag coefficient.

5. Are there any assumptions made in this equation for upward motion with air drag?

Yes, this equation makes the assumptions that the particle is moving only in the vertical direction, the drag coefficient and mass are constant, and the air resistance is proportional to the square of the particle's velocity. Additionally, this equation does not take into account any external forces such as wind or air turbulence that may affect the motion of the particle.