Equation for the tangent of a circle

In summary, the conversation focuses on finding the equation of the other tangent to a circle with center at (2, -1) passing through the origin. The equation of one tangent is given as 3x + y = 0 and the options for the other tangent are (a) 3x - y = 0, (b) x + 3y = 0, (c) x - 3y = 0, and (d) x + 2y = 0. The conversation also discusses the relationship between the radius and the tangent of a circle and different methods to solve the problem. The final solution is found by equating the length of the radius using the formula for the length of a perpendicular
snshusat161

Homework Statement

If the equation of one tangent to the circle with center at (2, -1) from the origin is 3x + y = 0, then the equation of the other tangent through the origin is:
(a) 3x - y = 0
(b) x + 3y = 0
(c) x - 3y = 0
(d) x + 2y = 0

Homework Equations

An equation of the tangent to the circle [tex]x^2 +y^2 + 2gx + 2fy + c = 0[/tex] at the point [tex]( x_{1}, y_{1})[/tex] on the circle is

xx1 + yy1 + g(x + x1) + f (y + y1) + c = 0

There are more but I presume that you know

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already solved this question from another method but just asking out of my curiosity.

I've learned it on my lower classes that radius are perpendicular to the tangent of the circle. It means that we must get m1. m2 = -1 but as you can see we are not getting, neither in the case of first tangent nor in the case of second (in any of the option given). Can you tell me, why?

Physics news on Phys.org
nobody is answering. I thing I've asked either a very easy question or a very silly one.

No, you just don't have patience. Your second post came 43 minutes after the first. You can't expect people to be sitting at their computers waiting for you to ask a question!

One way to do this is to note that the line 3x+ y= 0 has slope -3 while the line from the origin to (2, -1) has slope -1/2. If we write the angle the first line makes with the x-axis as [itex]\theta_2[/itex] then [itex]tan(\theta_2)= -3[/itex]. If we write the angle the line from the origin to (2, -1) as [itex]\theta_0[/itex] then we have [itex]tan(\theta_0)= -1/2[/itex]. Let [itex]\theta_1[/itex] be the angle the other tangent makes with the x-axis, then we have
[tex]\theta_0= \frac{\theta_1+ \theta_2}{2}[/tex]
so that [itex]\theta_1= 2\theta_0- \theta_2[/itex].

Now use some trig identities, like
[tex]tan(a- b)= \frac{tan(a)- tan(b)}{1+ tan(a)tan(b)}[/tex]
and
[tex]tan(2a)= \frac{2 tan(a)}{1- tan^2(a)}[/tex]

to find [itex]tan(\theta_1)[/itex], the slope of the second tangent line.

thanks but in our country (India) we have to solve such questions in less than 1 minute so I can't go this way. There must be some easy method. Do you know any trick or any more concept to solve it with less calculation involved. If this question is given in our book then there must be some easy method to solve it.

We get objective type questions and a very less time (less than 1 minute) for every questions.

Last edited:
I think I'm very close to get answer but I want to know what is the angle between two tangents drawn from the same point on a circle.

Oh! Sorry. I'd read that question wrong. It is a very simple question.

I've learned it on my lower classes that radius are perpendicular to the tangent of the circle. It means that we must get m1. m2 = -1 but as you can see we are not getting, neither in the case of first tangent nor in the case of second (in any of the option given). Can you tell me, why?

I thought that origin is on circle where tangent touch the circle but now after reading the question again I've got that the origin is not on circle but outside of circle from where two tangents are drawn.

Thanks HallsofIvy for your help. I've got a very easy solution which can be done in a minute.

What I've done is I've found the length of radius of circle (by using the formula of length of perpendicular from a point) and then I've assumed the equation of other tangent as y = mx and again calculated the length of radius in terms of m (slope) and then equated it with the length which I've got previously. Then I've got two values of m (for both the tangent). One was -3 and other was 1/3 so the equation of other tangent I've found is x - 3y = 0

do you know any better solution than this. If You know then please tell me. I've my exam on 11th of April.

Related to Equation for the tangent of a circle

1. What is the equation for finding the tangent of a circle?

The equation for finding the tangent of a circle is y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the tangent line and b is the y-intercept. This equation can be used to find the tangent at any point on the circle.

2. How is the tangent of a circle related to its radius?

The tangent of a circle is perpendicular to the radius at the point of tangency. This means that the radius and tangent line intersect at a 90 degree angle.

3. Can the equation for the tangent of a circle be used to find the tangent at any point?

Yes, the equation can be used to find the tangent at any point on the circle. However, the slope and y-intercept values may vary depending on the point of tangency.

4. Is it possible to have more than one tangent line at a point on a circle?

No, there can only be one tangent line at a point on a circle. This is because the tangent line is defined as the line that touches the circle at only one point.

5. How is the equation for the tangent of a circle derived?

The equation for the tangent of a circle is derived using the Pythagorean theorem and the slope formula. By finding the slope of the radius at the point of tangency and using the slope formula to find the equation of the perpendicular line, the equation for the tangent of a circle can be determined.