Equation for Projectile Motion of Flare Fired from Accelerating Helicopter

In summary, the helicopter accelerated uniformly upwards and then fired a flare horizontally which reached the ground 10 seconds later. The flare gained a vertical component of motion due to the upward velocity of the helicopter.
McKeavey
A helicopter at rest on the ground started to accelerate uniformely upwards. After 30s a flare was fired horizontly from the helicopter. An observer on the ground measured the time the flare reached the ground as 10 seconds. Neglect air resistance.

A) acceleration of helicopter
B) height from which the flare was fired
c) height of the helicopter at the instant the flare reaches the ground, assuming acceleration remained constant

3.2 as acceleration is wrong
490m as distance is wrong.

I have absolutely no idea what other ways there are to solve it..
Also to know, the flare will make a parabola because of the velocity the flare takes from the helicopter

Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't described your attempt to solve the problem. What did you try?

Im on my phone its hard to type out my three pages worth of notes lmao

McKeavey said:
Im on my phone its hard to type out my three pages worth of notes lmao

Well, we can't help if we can't see what you're doing! Perhaps you can follow up when you have access to a "real" keyboard and screen.

Well ill try to shorten it because i need the answer asap.
y = 0 + 0.5(9.8mls^2)(10s)^2
= 490m
but that's wrong

McKeavey said:
Well ill try to shorten it because i need the answer asap.
y = 0 + 0.5(9.8mls^2)(10s)^2
= 490m
but that's wrong

The equation does not represent the motion of the flair. It is launched horizontally from the helicopter, but the helicopter is moving upwards at some velocity when the flair is released. So the flair gains a vertical component of motion thereby.

You will need to combine equations for the flair motion and helicopter motion to solve this problem.

Nono the equation is only for finding out the height of when the flair was released.

McKeavey said:
Nono the equation is only for finding out the height of when the flair was released.

All you know is that the flair was in the air for ten seconds. It wasn't falling straight down from rest! At first it went upwards due to the initial vertical velocity imparted by the helicopter at launch time.

You can't solve directly for the height of the flair without also knowing its vertical speed at landing, or some other parameter of the motion. That's where the motion of the helicopter comes in. You need to consider the equations for both together.

Ohh..
Hm.
V2heli = V1flare?
what equations do i use :S

Write the equations of motion for the helicopter. One for height vs time, the other for its vertical speed vs time. Both will involve the (as yet) unknown upward acceleration of the helicopter.

Um
d = v1 + (.5)at^2
V1² =v2²-2ad?
:S

V1y = 2at² - dy/t
d = ½(a)t²
?

McKeavey said:
d = ½(a)t²
?

That one's right. Only why not use an appropriate variable name for the distance? How about "h" for the height of the helicopter?

Now, what's the helicopter's velocity with respect to time?

Vheli = (a)heli(30s)?

McKeavey said:
Vheli = (a)heli(30s)?

30s is a particular time, not time in general. Letting Vy be the vertical velocity of the helicopter, then

Vy = a*t

The velocity of the helicopter when the flair is launched will be Vy = a*30s.

I need another equation to sub in for the v eq :/

McKeavey said:
I need another equation to sub in for the v eq :/

write an equation for the flair, taking account upward velocity. You will have all values for everything in terms of helicopter acceleration and constants.

Related to Equation for Projectile Motion of Flare Fired from Accelerating Helicopter

1. What is projectile motion and why is it considered "hard"?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. It is considered "hard" because it involves a combination of two-dimensional kinematics and dynamics, making it more complex than simple linear motion.

2. How is the trajectory of a projectile calculated?

The trajectory of a projectile can be calculated using the equations of motion, which take into account the object's initial velocity, angle of launch, and the effects of gravity. This can also be done using computer simulations or by measuring and analyzing real-world data.

3. What factors affect the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, launch angle, and the force of gravity. Air resistance and the shape of the object can also play a role in the range of a projectile.

4. How does height affect the motion of a projectile?

The height of a projectile's launch or landing point does not affect the motion of the projectile itself. However, it can affect the total time of flight and the maximum height the projectile reaches.

5. Can projectile motion be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, projectile motion is applicable to many real-world situations, such as the motion of a ball thrown by an athlete, the trajectory of a rocket launch, or the motion of a projectile fired from a weapon. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports science.