Equation For Charging Current In Accumulator

In summary: For a series circuit, the current through the circuit is the same as the sum of the individual currents.
chikis

Homework Statement

Suppose we have a circuit represented, which is used for charging an accumulator from a.d.c supply of e.m.f, E1 and internal resistance, r1. If the e.m.f of the accumulator is E2 with an internal resistance of r2, then the equation for the charging current is what?
In this question, I want to know how to derive the equation for charging current in an accumulator.

Homework Equations

I know that there is equation that goes like this:
E = V + v
E = IR + ir
E = I(R + r)
I = E/(R + r)
But am not sure the above equation relates to my question in any way. Am optimistic that there are other equation that will be fit enough for this my questions.

The Attempt at a Solution

E = V + v
E = IR + ir
E = I(R + r)
I = E/(R + r)
but I don't think that this my working is correct or is fit for the question. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say that the overall emf = E1-E2 and the total resistance - r1+r2.
So the current will be (E1-E2)/(r1+r2)
This checks out because when the battery is charged E2 = E1 and the current will then be zero

Emilyjoint said:
This checks out because when the battery is charged E2 = E1 and the current will then be zero

Can you make the current, I the subject of the formula in any of the equation?

Emilyjoint said:

Thank you so much. I understand from your reply that the current, I = (E1-E2)/(r1+r2)
I would say that the overall emf = E1-E2
But why is the overall emf = E1-E2? Can you give a principle that supports that?

Basically, voltages in series ADD. Here, you have one of opposite polarity to the other, in order to charge the accumulator correctly.

So, for a loop, the loop source voltage = the sum of the individual voltage sources

Related to Equation For Charging Current In Accumulator

What is the equation for calculating the charging current in an accumulator?

The equation for charging current in an accumulator is I = (Vf - Vi) / R, where I is the charging current in amperes, Vf is the final voltage of the accumulator, Vi is the initial voltage of the accumulator, and R is the charging resistance.

How is the charging current affected by the voltage and resistance of the accumulator?

The charging current is directly proportional to the difference between the final and initial voltages of the accumulator, and inversely proportional to the charging resistance. This means that as the voltage difference increases, the charging current will also increase, and as the charging resistance increases, the charging current will decrease.

What units are used in the equation for charging current in an accumulator?

The units used in the equation for charging current in an accumulator are amperes (A) for the current, volts (V) for the voltage, and ohms (Ω) for the resistance.

How can the charging current be controlled in an accumulator?

The charging current can be controlled by adjusting the charging resistance or using a charging controller. By increasing the charging resistance, the charging current can be reduced, and vice versa. A charging controller can also be used to regulate the charging current to a specific level.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the charging current calculation in an accumulator?

The accuracy of the charging current calculation in an accumulator can be affected by factors such as variations in the voltage source, changes in the internal resistance of the accumulator, and temperature fluctuations. It is important to consider these factors when calculating the charging current to ensure accurate results.