Whats the materials specific heat capacity?

In summary, Dx and Tom were discussing a problem involving the specific heat capacity of a material. Dx initially came up with an answer of 1.35 kcal/kg degrees C, but later corrected it to .34 kcal/fg oC. Tom also got the same answer and thought Dx may have made a mistake in converting temperatures, but after reworking the problem, they both concluded that the answer was indeed .34 kcal/fg oC. In the end, they thanked each other for their help.
Dx
Hello,

150kcal of heat raises the temp of 2.0kg of material by 400 degrees F. Whats the materials specific heat capacity?

I cam up with 1.35 kcal/kg degrees C. is this correct?

Thanks!
Dx :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dx,

That's not what I get. Can you show me what you did?

Thanks,

I used some substitution

Originally posted by Tom
Dx,

That's not what I get. Can you show me what you did?

Thanks,

No problem, Tom! I meant to say .34 kcal/fg oC was my answer sorry that's another problem i am working on but i got it wrong anyways, lol.

I used the formula [del]Q = mc [del]T and substituted.
c = 150kcal / (2kg)* (190oC) =
.34 kcal

i figured it was .34 since when i converted from F to C i rounded the number so then I usd scientific notation to conclude to this answer.
I am sorry but I have reworked this problem many times erasing and adding to it so excuse me if its not exact but you can see I am really trying here.
Thanks!
Dx

OK, that's what I got too.

I was thinking you had made a mistake converting ΔTF to ΔTC (because you have to multiply by 5/9), but then I reworked the problem by making that mistake, and I still did not get your answer.

Oh well, that's cleared up now.

TY Tom

Just wanted to say thanks!

1. What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy needed to raise the temperature of one unit of a substance by one degree Celsius. It is usually measured in joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C).

2. How is specific heat capacity different from heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is an intrinsic property of a substance, while heat capacity is an extensive property dependent on the mass of the substance. This means that specific heat capacity is constant for a particular substance, while heat capacity can vary depending on the amount of the substance.

3. Why is specific heat capacity important?

Specific heat capacity is important in understanding how substances absorb and release heat energy. It is also useful in calculating the amount of heat required for temperature changes in various applications, such as cooking and thermodynamics.

4. How is specific heat capacity measured?

Specific heat capacity can be measured using a calorimeter, which is an insulated container used to measure changes in temperature. The amount of heat energy absorbed or released by the substance is then calculated using the formula q = mcΔT, where q is the heat energy, m is the mass, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

5. What factors affect the specific heat capacity of a substance?

The specific heat capacity of a substance can be affected by its physical and chemical properties, such as its molecular structure, density, and phase. It can also vary with temperature and pressure. Additionally, impurities and mixtures can also affect the specific heat capacity of a substance.