EPQ Project: Build a Slingshot for 780g Projectile 100m Range

• I
  • Thread starter GingerKennett
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slingshot
In summary, for an epq project, the individual created a slingshot to fire a 780g projectile with a range of 100m at a 45 degree angle. They then looked for guidance on the necessary calculations for this project, such as the required force and tension, but were unable to find any information. They are now seeking help and have been directed to a thread on PF with relevant formulas. The individual is also given a hint to help them get started on their project.
GingerKennett
For my epq project I decided to create a slingshot which would fire a 780g projectile 100m.
Then I looked up how to do the maths for it i.e the force needed, the tension in the rope etc. And I could find nothing. if anyone wants to help it would be appreciated: 780g projectile, 100m range and firing at angle of 45 degrees

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Ginger, :welcome:
There's something about the culture at PF that encourages folks to first make an effort to get under way :smile:
GingerKennett said:
Then I looked up how to do the maths for it i.e the force needed, the tension in the rope etc
It is difficult to find nothing when searching for such terms. Fortunately PF has a whole thread of formulas for you to look through. When done, you can post a thread with a more specific problem statement.

We'll give you one hint to get you started though... How fast must the projectile be moving at launch?

And with that hint, this thread is closed. As @BvU says, you can post a more specific problem statement when you have one.

Related to EPQ Project: Build a Slingshot for 780g Projectile 100m Range

1. How do you determine the optimal design for a slingshot for a 780g projectile with a range of 100m?

To determine the optimal design for a slingshot, several factors must be considered. These include the weight and size of the projectile, the desired range, and the materials available for construction. Additionally, the angle and force at which the projectile is launched must be carefully calculated to achieve the desired range. Extensive testing and experimentation may also be necessary to fine-tune the design and achieve the best results.

2. What materials are best suited for constructing a slingshot for a 780g projectile?

The materials used for constructing a slingshot can greatly impact its performance. Ideally, the materials should be lightweight yet strong enough to withstand the force of launching a 780g projectile. Some common materials used for slingshots include wood, metal, and durable plastics. The choice of material may also depend on personal preference and availability.

3. How can you ensure safety when using a slingshot for a 780g projectile with a range of 100m?

Safety should always be a top priority when using any type of projectile launcher. When building and using a slingshot, it is important to follow all safety precautions, such as wearing eye protection and using the appropriate amount of force when launching the projectile. Additionally, it is crucial to never aim the slingshot at people or animals and to always use it in a controlled and open area.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy and range of a slingshot for a 780g projectile?

Several factors can impact the accuracy and range of a slingshot. These include the weight and size of the projectile, the materials and design of the slingshot, the angle and force at which the projectile is launched, and external factors such as wind and air resistance. It is important to carefully consider and adjust these factors to achieve the desired range and accuracy.

5. Can a slingshot for a 780g projectile with a range of 100m be used for any other purposes?

While the primary purpose of a slingshot for a 780g projectile with a range of 100m may be for recreational or experimental use, it may also have potential applications in fields such as agriculture or wildlife management. For example, it could be used to launch small payloads such as seeds or bait over a specific distance. However, it is important to note that any use of a slingshot should always be done with safety in mind.