EPFL's claim about wave particle duality

In summary, recent claims by scientists at EPFL about photographing light simultaneously as a particle and a wave have sparked misconceptions. While the experiment showcases advancements in technology, the way it was presented to the public may be misleading. The concept of wave-particle duality is still controversial, and the experiment does not fully reconcile this aspect. Additionally, it is common for science articles to prioritize sensationalism over accuracy.
Ranvir
Recent claims by scientists at EPFL suggesting that they somehow manged to photograph light simultaneously as a particle and as a wave raises more misconceptions than ever.
The experiment on it's own is an excellent example of recent improvements in technological and experimental techniques, but it's presentation to public, at least in my opinion, is misleading.Here's a link for a brief explanation of the said experiment
http://phys.org/news/2015-03-particle.html
Now, this gives rise to the same "Whether light is a wave or a particle?" predicament. The simple answer is that it's neither of them. It just exhibits properties and follows equations which in classical sense suggests as if the entity is a particle and wave in some weird incomprehensible way and while it's true that the actual quantum mechanics is counter intuitive in many of it's aspect, the attempt to reconcile the wave-particle picture by EPFL does no better than imaging the solution of Schrodinger's equation.
Is it right to say that the "Photographed" light simultaneously as a wave and a particle?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ranvir said:
Recent claims by scientists at EPFL suggesting that they somehow manged to photograph light simultaneously as a particle and as a wave raises more misconceptions than ever.

Not really. Its well known that wave-particle duality is a crock:
http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0609163

So that's not what they really did.

Ranvir said:
Is it right to say that the "Photographed" light simultaneously as a wave and a particle?

I wouldn't think so. But having glanced at the paper what they did does look interesting.

Although wave particle duality is really an invalid concept light does sometimes behave LIKE a particle and sometimes LIKE a wave - so its interesting if it can behave LIKE both at the same time. The big issue however is exactly in this case what LIKE means.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Couldn't have said it better myself. That's exactly what I interpreted when I read about the experiment (Although my knowledge in quantum mechanics is fairly rudimentary.)
But what concerns me more is the wave the experiment is publicized by making claims as they did at the webpage I visited.
May be I'm wrong and if so I'd really like to be corrected.

Ranvir said:
Couldn't have said it better myself. That's exactly what I interpreted when I read about the experiment (Although my knowledge in quantum mechanics is fairly rudimentary.)
But what concerns me more is the wave the experiment is publicized by making claims as they did at the webpage I visited.
May be I'm wrong and if so I'd really like to be corrected.

It is common for writers of short report articles about science to put very little to no science in favor of fashionable words and inflated claims of something great accomplished. There are probably more reasons for this behaviour, I guess mostly economic (authors need to sell their work, websites want you to click and see their ads). The original scientific article is more prosaic and I am sure it could be made even more accurate and boring.

As someone has said, everybody needs to eat.

Last edited:
Likes bhobba

Related to EPFL's claim about wave particle duality

1. What is wave-particle duality?

Wave-particle duality is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that states that particles, such as electrons and photons, can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. This means that they can act as both a wave and a particle depending on how they are observed or measured.

2. How did EPFL make a claim about wave-particle duality?

EPFL made a claim about wave-particle duality through their research and experiments in quantum mechanics. They have used advanced technology and techniques to observe the behavior of particles and have found evidence that supports the concept of wave-particle duality.

3. Why is wave-particle duality important?

Wave-particle duality is important because it helps us understand the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. It has also led to the development of many important technologies, such as transistors and lasers, which are essential in our daily lives.

4. Is wave-particle duality a proven concept?

Yes, wave-particle duality is a well-established concept in quantum mechanics. It has been supported by numerous experiments and observations, and is an integral part of our current understanding of the behavior of particles at a subatomic level.

5. How does wave-particle duality relate to the uncertainty principle?

Wave-particle duality is closely related to the uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This is because particles can behave as both waves and particles, making it difficult to determine their exact location and velocity at the same time.