Enumerative Combinatorics help

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the formula for the number of compositions of n into even numbers of even valued parts. The generating function for this problem is given, but there is confusion about the correct formula and potential mistakes in the derivation. The conversation also includes a correction to a typo in one of the equations.
I<3Gauss
I was reading Stanley's first volume on Enumerative Combinatorics, and I am seemingly stuck on a basic question regarding compositions. It may be that my algebra skills are rusty, but I just cannot get the correct formula for the number of compositions of n into even numbers of even valued parts.

To elaborate, the generating function for the number of compositions of n into k parts where each part is even is
( x^2 + x^4 + x^6 + x^8 ...)^k

After we simplify this equation and look at the coefficients of the expanded polynomial, we should be able to get the formula to answer the above question. I have checked many times, but the incorrect answer that I always come up with is (n-k-1 choose n-2k). I was wondering if someone else can try and derive the formula so that I can see what went wrong with my answer?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It would be better to show your derivation so we can point out any errors.

Okay, here goes

(x^2 + x^4 + x^6 + ...)^k

= (x^2k) (1 + x + x^2 + x^3 + ...)^k

= (x^2k) [(1-x)^-k]

By the general binomial theorem, we now have

= (x^2k) [sum(n=o to infinity) (-k choose n) (-x)^n]

well, we know that (-k choose n) is equal to (-1)^n (k+n-1 choose n)

plugging in, we get

= ((x^2k) [sum(n=0 to infinity) (k+n-1 choose n) x^n]

= [sum(n=0 to infinity) (k+n-1 choose n) x^(n+2k)]

= [sum(n=2k to infinity) (n-k-1 choose n-2k) x^n]

Thus, the compositions of n into even number of even parts should be (n-k-1 choose n-2k).

Note: each part is strictly greater than 0

However, this cannot be right since plugging in say n=6 and k=2 means that there are (3 choose 2) ways, or 3 ways for the composition of 6. However, the composition of 6 into 2 parts where each part is even is only 2+4, and 4+2. Thus, fail.

I am confident, however, that the initial generating function I provided is correct.

What happened to the (-1)^n factor?

I<3Gauss said:
Okay, here goes

(x^2 + x^4 + x^6 + ...)^k

= (x^2k) (1 + x + x^2 + x^3 + ...)^k

= (x^2k) [(1-x)^-k]

By the general binomial theorem, we now have

= (x^2k) [sum(n=o to infinity) (-k choose n) (-x)^n]

well, we know that (-k choose n) is equal to (-1)^n (k+n-1 choose n)

plugging in, we get

= ((x^2k) [sum(n=0 to infinity) (k+n-1 choose n) x^n]

= [sum(n=0 to infinity) (k+n-1 choose n) x^(n+2k)]

= [sum(n=2k to infinity) (n-k-1 choose n-2k) x^n]

Thus, the compositions of n into even number of even parts should be (n-k-1 choose n-2k).

Note: each part is strictly greater than 0

However, this cannot be right since plugging in say n=6 and k=2 means that there are (3 choose 2) ways, or 3 ways for the composition of 6. However, the composition of 6 into 2 parts where each part is even is only 2+4, and 4+2. Thus, fail.

I am confident, however, that the initial generating function I provided is correct.

In your first step,

[tex](x^2 + x^4 + x^6 + \dots)^k = x^{2k} (1 + x^2 + x^4 + \dots)^k[/tex]

oh whoops, i c

omg, can't factor...

(x^2 + x^4 + x^6 + x^8)^k

= [ (x^2) (1 + x^2 + x^3 + x^4 +...) ]^k

but 1 + x^2 + x^3 + x^4 + ... does not equal 1/(1-x)

cuz 1/(1-x) = 1 + x + x^2 + x^3 + x^4

Thanks guys, I now know i can do enumerative combinatorics but can't do algebra or factoring...

I<3Gauss said:
oh whoops, i c

omg, can't factor...

(x^2 + x^4 + x^6 + x^8)^k

= [ (x^2) (1 + x^2 + x^3 + x^4 +...) ]^k

[snip]
Better look closely at that equation.

oh whoops again, typo, thanks for that correction!

Related to Enumerative Combinatorics help

1. What is enumerative combinatorics?

Enumerative combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and organizing the elements of finite sets or structures. It involves studying patterns and relationships among different combinations of objects, and determining the number of possible outcomes.

2. What are some real-life applications of enumerative combinatorics?

Enumerative combinatorics has many practical applications, such as in computer science, cryptography, genetics, and statistical analysis. It can also be used in fields like economics, physics, and chemistry to model and analyze systems with a finite number of states.

3. What are some commonly used techniques in enumerative combinatorics?

Some commonly used techniques in enumerative combinatorics include permutations, combinations, generating functions, and recurrence relations. These tools can be used to solve various counting problems, such as finding the number of ways to arrange objects, or the number of ways to choose a subset from a larger set.

4. How is enumerative combinatorics related to other branches of mathematics?

Enumerative combinatorics is closely related to other areas of mathematics, such as graph theory, probability, and algebraic combinatorics. It also has connections to theoretical computer science, as many problems in this field can be formulated and solved using enumerative combinatorics methods.

5. How can I improve my skills in enumerative combinatorics?

To improve your skills in enumerative combinatorics, it is important to gain a solid understanding of the fundamental concepts and techniques. This can be achieved through practice and solving a variety of problems. Additionally, reading textbooks or attending lectures on the subject can also help deepen your understanding and improve your skills.