Entropy, energy levels and harmonic oscillation.

In summary, the model used to describe the vibrations of atoms in a solid assumes that the atoms are isotropic harmonic oscillators and that their vibrations are independent of each other. This model is used to calculate the entropy and heat capacity of Boron (B). The entropy of Boron at T = 400K is given as 9.797 J/(mol K). To calculate the heat capacity at T = 600K, the value for hw (energy level of a vibration) is needed. However, the function for S can be derived from the partition function, and an approximation of sinh(x) = x can be made for T = 400K. The Einstein temperature of Boron can also be used to solve for the energy
ZCML

Homework Statement

A model to describe the vibrations of atoms in a solid is to assume that the atoms are isotropic harmonic oscillators and that the vibrations are independent of the vibrations of the other atoms. We use this model to describe the entropy and heat capacity of Bohrium (B). The entropy is given as 9.797 J/(mol K) at T = 400K

What is the heat capacity of B at T = 600K?

Homework Equations

Energy level of a harmonic oscillator: En = hw(1/2 + n) (1 dimension)
Z = the partition function = [tex]\sum[/tex]e^(-En/k*T) = 1/(2*sinh(hw/k*T))
F = -k*T*ln(Z)

The partition function above is valid for a single atom which is only moving in one dimention but to get the correct parition function for motion in 3D one simply does Zcorrect = Z³ which gives the free energy as

Fcorrect = -3*k*T*ln(Z)

S = -([tex]\partial[/tex]F/[tex]\partial[/tex]T)
Cv = T([tex]\partial[/tex]S/[tex]\partial[/tex]T)

The Attempt at a Solution

From the partition function i can derive the function for S in a straight forward way. I am given the entropy at T = 400 and what i need to know to derive the heat capacity Cv from S is the value for hw. But i can't figure out how to get homework from S given the entropy. I have tried solving the function by the Newton Rhapson method using MatLab but it doesn't want to work. So I am stuck and I am wondering if I am even on the right track. Is there a simple way to find the energy levels of a vibration as in this case when given the entropy?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok i think i got a clue (while looking in a book of all places!). What i need is the Einstein temperature of Bohrium and all will be solved nicely. At least i think it will.

I think you can make an approximation sinh(x)=x since x=hw/kT is generally very small for T=400K.

This just reduces to the classical expression 3k.

Last edited:
I also noticed that it is Boron I am working with and not Bohrium as i wrote. I blame the fact that i had to translate the problem to swedish.

Related to Entropy, energy levels and harmonic oscillation.

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is a thermodynamic quantity that increases as the system becomes more disordered.

2. How do energy levels affect entropy?

The number of energy levels in a system directly affects its entropy. A system with more energy levels has a greater number of possible microstates, leading to a higher entropy.

3. What is harmonic oscillation?

Harmonic oscillation is a type of motion where an object moves back and forth between two equilibrium points, with a constant period and amplitude.

4. How does harmonic oscillation relate to entropy?

Harmonic oscillation can contribute to the entropy of a system by creating microstates with different energy levels. This increases the disorder in the system and thus contributes to its overall entropy.

5. Can entropy be decreased?

In a closed system, the entropy will always increase over time. However, it is possible to decrease the entropy of a specific part of a system by adding energy or reducing the number of energy levels. This requires an input of energy and does not decrease the overall entropy of the system.