Entropy Difference of an Unknown Gas (not an ideal gas)

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of estimating the difference in entropy between two states of a simple compressible substance based on temperature, pressure, and volume measurements. The solution involves using the Maxwell equations and finite differences to calculate the change in entropy.
albertov123

Homework Statement

Temperature, pressure and volume measurements performed on 1 kg of a simple compressible substance in three stable equilibrium states yield the following results.

State 1 (T1=400 C , V1= 0,10 m3, P1=3 MPa)
State 2 (T1=400 C , V1= 0,08 m3, P1=3,5 MPa)
State 3 (T1=500 C , V1= 0,10 m3, P1=3,5 MPa)

Estimate the difference in entropy S2-S1

Homework Equations

We don't know the gas. So I can't assume this is an ideal gas and I can't go to thermodynamics tables. I don't know the relevant equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I didn't get why the question identifies state 3. I think we can completely ignore state 3 because the question is entropy difference between state 2 and state 1.

This is clearly a compression process, (volume decreases, pressure increases) but temperature stays still. But when a gas is compressed, its pressure and temperature rises. So there must be heat transfer going on.

Entropy change = Sgen + Q/T
But we don't know the entropy generation so we can't go from here.

I assume I need a relation related with volume and pressure that yields entropy but in constant temperature. Is there a relation like that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. There is a relation for the partial derivative of entropy with respect to pressure at constant temperature in terms of the P-V-T properties of a gas.
Have you studied that yet? Are you learning about the Maxwell equations in your course yet? The derivation starts off with dG=-SdT+VdP.

Likes albertov123
Yes we are learning maxwell equations in fact. That derivation must be dG=-SdT+VdP+∑μidNi from my notebook.

The relation you have mentioned is probably -(∂S/∂P)T=(∂V/∂T)P and with that equation my solution would include state 3. But how could i go with this equation I'm not clear. Although I'm very doubtful, can I think the above equation as -(ΔS/ΔP)between state 1-2=(ΔV/ΔT)between state 2-3? Otherwise I don't know what to do.

Albertov123 said:
Yes we are learning maxwell equations in fact. That derivation must be dG=-SdT+VdP+∑μidNi from my notebook.

The relation you have mentioned is probably -(∂S/∂P)T=(∂V/∂T)P and with that equation my solution would include state 3. But how could i go with this equation I'm not clear. Although I'm very doubtful, can I think the above equation as -(ΔS/ΔP)between state 1-2=(ΔV/ΔT)between state 2-3? Otherwise I don't know what to do.
Yes, that's what you do. They said "estimate" the entropy change, so using finite differences is OK.

Likes albertov123

Related to Entropy Difference of an Unknown Gas (not an ideal gas)

1. What is entropy difference of an unknown gas?

The entropy difference of an unknown gas refers to the change in the disorder or randomness of the gas when it undergoes a physical or chemical process.

2. How is the entropy difference of an unknown gas calculated?

The entropy difference can be calculated by taking the difference between the final and initial entropy values of the gas. This can be done using the formula ΔS = Sfinal - Sinitial.

3. Why is the entropy difference of an unknown gas important?

The entropy difference is important because it helps us understand the direction and extent of a physical or chemical process. It also provides information about the energy changes and efficiency of the process.

4. Can the entropy difference of an unknown gas be negative?

Yes, the entropy difference can be negative if the disorder or randomness of the gas decreases during a process. This often occurs in processes that are highly ordered or have a decrease in temperature.

5. How does the entropy difference of an unknown gas relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time. The entropy difference of an unknown gas is a measure of this overall increase in disorder or randomness during a process.