Entropy Change of an expanding gas

In summary, the change in entropy of the gas is -138.20 J/K, calculated using the formula \DeltaS = nRIn(V2/V1) where n=2 and R=8.31. However, a correction was made and the correct answer is 14.9 J/K.
cmcc3119
Two moles of an ideal gas undergo a reversible isothermal expansion from 1.97×10−2 m^3 to 4.82×10−2 m^3 at a temperature of 20.0 C.

What is the change in entropy of the gas?

WORKING:

Using [tex]\Delta[/tex]S = nRIn(V2/V1)

= 2(8.31*ln(4.82*10^-2/1.97*10^-2)

ANS = -138.20 J/K

Is this correct? I can only enter it once on my website and I want to make sure this is right first time :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi cmcc3119,

I think you made a math error in your calculation; I don't think that number follows from the line above it.

Yep I figured out the right anwer which is 14.9

I don't know what I meant with that massive negative figure! Thanks for you help anyway.

Related to Entropy Change of an expanding gas

What is entropy change?

Entropy change is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In the context of an expanding gas, it refers to the change in the distribution of energy and particles within the gas as it expands.

How does an expanding gas affect entropy change?

As a gas expands, the particles within it become more spread out and the energy becomes more evenly distributed. This leads to an increase in entropy change, as there is a greater degree of disorder and randomness in the system.

What is the relationship between entropy change and temperature?

Entropy change is directly proportional to temperature. As temperature increases, the particles within a gas have more kinetic energy and can move more freely, leading to an increase in entropy change.

What factors can influence entropy change in an expanding gas?

The main factors that can influence entropy change in an expanding gas are temperature, pressure, and volume. Changes in any of these variables can affect the distribution of energy and particles within the gas and therefore impact entropy change.

How is entropy change calculated for an expanding gas?

The formula for calculating entropy change in an expanding gas is ΔS = nRln(V2/V1), where ΔS is the change in entropy, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and V2 and V1 are the final and initial volumes, respectively. This formula takes into account the change in volume and the number of particles in the gas.