Entropy change in isochoric process

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of entropy changes in an isochoric process involving a solid heat body and a heat bath. The entropy change of the heat body can be found using dS=Cv/T dT, while the entropy change of the heat bath can be found using dS=dQ/T2. It was noted that these equations can only be used in reversible processes. The attempt at a solution involved finding the total entropy change using nR ln(T2/T1) for the heat body and -Cv(T2-T1)/T2 for the heat bath. However, it was determined that the process was irreversible and a reversible path must be found for each component in order to calculate the entropy changes.
wowowo2006

Homework Statement

Hi everyone

In an isochoric process ( a solid heat body with T1 temp. connected with heat bath with T2 temp)
we could calculate its entropy change(heat body) from dS = Cv/T dT
and entropy change of heat bath from dS = dQ / T2, using dQ = Cv dT in 1st equation
( i read these from notes actually but i am confused with the reversibility in it)

Homework Equations

but I remember that we have proved before

dS >= dQ/T for all process, and equality hold when process is reversible(like isotherm and adiabats)

The Attempt at a Solution

Then i compute the entropy change of heat body in isochoric system = nR ln(T2/T1)
and entropy change of heat bath = - Cv(T2-T1)/T2
so total entropy is not zero when T2 and T1 has a finite change.
There comes my question, we find out that this isochoric process is irreversible
but when we use the equation dS = dQ/T, we could only use it in reversible process.

I try to solve this problem by constructing 1 isotherm and 1 adiabat to replace original isochoric path and find out that dS actually = dQ / T = Cv/T dT ,
although i know where this come from ( dS = dQ /T) from maths way
but I think i misunderstand some physical concept
can someone explain why dS = dQ/T , even when this process is not reversible in some physical way?

Physics news on Phys.org
wowowo2006 said:

Homework Statement

Hi everyone

In an isochoric process ( a solid heat body with T1 temp. connected with heat bath with T2 temp)
we could calculate its entropy change(heat body) from dS = Cv/T dT
and entropy change of heat bath from dS = dQ / T2, using dQ = Cv dT in 1st equation
( i read these from notes actually but i am confused with the reversibility in it)

Homework Equations

but I remember that we have proved before

dS >= dQ/T for all process, and equality hold when process is reversible(like isotherm and adiabats)

The Attempt at a Solution

Then i compute the entropy change of heat body in isochoric system = nR ln(T2/T1)
and entropy change of heat bath = - Cv(T2-T1)/T2
so total entropy is not zero when T2 and T1 has a finite change.
There comes my question, we find out that this isochoric process is irreversible
but when we use the equation dS = dQ/T, we could only use it in reversible process.

I try to solve this problem by constructing 1 isotherm and 1 adiabat to replace original isochoric path and find out that dS actually = dQ / T = Cv/T dT ,
although i know where this come from ( dS = dQ /T) from maths way
but I think i misunderstand some physical concept
can someone explain why dS = dQ/T , even when this process is not reversible in some physical way?
The process is not reversible because you cannot change the direction of the process (ie. the direction of heat flow) by making an infinitesimal change in conditions.

But to find the change in entropy of each body, you only look at the initial and final states - you do not care about the process that occurred in going from the initial to final states. You just have to find a reversible path for each component (ie the solid body and the bath). Since the actual process was NOT reversible, the reversible paths will not be the same path for each component.

Here you are assuming that the bath has an arbitrarily large heat capacity so its temperature before and after the process is the same. The reversible path would simply be a reversible isothermal heat flow out of the heat bath of Q, where Q is the amount of heat flow into the solid body. So for the bath, ΔSbath=Q/T

The solid body changes temperature from T1 to T2. A reversible process for this would be to successively put it in contact in series with an arbitrarily large number of heat baths - each of which are at an infinitesimally higher temperature than the body - until it reaches T2. Each step would result in a heat flow dQ = mCdT. You just have to work out the expression for dS and integrate from T1 to T2 to get ΔSbody.

AM

Related to Entropy change in isochoric process

What is an isochoric process?

An isochoric process is a thermodynamic process in which the volume of a system remains constant, while other thermodynamic properties such as pressure, temperature, and internal energy may change.

How does entropy change in an isochoric process?

In an isochoric process, the entropy change is determined by the change in the internal energy and the temperature of the system. Since the volume remains constant, there is no work done by or on the system, and therefore, the entropy change is solely due to the energy transfer as heat.

Is entropy change always positive in an isochoric process?

No, the entropy change in an isochoric process can be positive, negative, or even zero. It depends on the direction of heat transfer and the change in temperature of the system. If heat is transferred into the system and the temperature increases, the entropy change will be positive. On the other hand, if the system loses heat and the temperature decreases, the entropy change will be negative.

What is the relationship between entropy and disorder in an isochoric process?

Entropy can be thought of as a measure of disorder in a system. In an isochoric process, if the temperature of the system increases, the molecules of the system will have more energy and will be more disordered, leading to an increase in entropy. On the other hand, if the temperature decreases, the molecules will have less energy and will be more ordered, resulting in a decrease in entropy.

Can entropy be created or destroyed in an isochoric process?

No, according to the second law of thermodynamics, entropy cannot be created or destroyed in any process. In an isochoric process, the entropy change may occur due to heat transfer, but the total entropy of the system and its surroundings will remain constant.