Entropy/ 2nd law of thermodynamics

In summary, the problem deals with the mixing of two masses of water at different temperatures, taking into account the vapour pressure of the water. The entropy change in the universe is found to be 2*m*Cp*ln[(T1 + T2)/(2*SQRT(T1*T2))], which can be obtained by finding the equilibrium temperature and using it to calculate the entropy change in both masses and subtracting them. However, the question is not a simple one as it requires taking into account the vapour pressure of the water and assuming it is saturated at all times.
BingoMan

Homework Statement

A mass of water at T1 is isobarically and adiabatically mixed with an equal mass of water at T2. Show that the entropy change in the universe is 2*m*Cp*ln[(T1 + T2)/(2*SQRT(T1*T2))]

Homework Equations

I'm assuming
dS = dq/T
q = m Cp dT

The Attempt at a Solution

At the very beginning I was just using q = cpdT and getting total entropy = to m Cp ln(T2/T1) but that might be because that takes the process as reversible and this is an irreversible function

Next, I tried to find the equilibrium temperature by setting q1(using T1 and Tf) and q2 (using T2 and Tf) = 0 but I don't believe that is true and I couldn't figure out a way to get the equation given in the question.

It seems like it would be simple but I must be missing something.

Please help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this answer as simple as finding the equilibrium temperature then using that to find the entropy change in both masses and subtracting those?? If that's the case, then how does one figure out the equilibrium temp because I tried that to no avail.

BingoMan said:

Homework Statement

A mass of water at T1 is isobarically and adiabatically mixed with an equal mass of water at T2. Show that the entropy change in the universe is 2*m*Cp*ln[(T1 + T2)/(2*SQRT(T1*T2))]

Homework Equations

I'm assuming
dS = dq/T
q = m Cp dT

The Attempt at a Solution

At the very beginning I was just using q = cpdT and getting total entropy = to m Cp ln(T2/T1) but that might be because that takes the process as reversible and this is an irreversible function

Next, I tried to find the equilibrium temperature by setting q1(using T1 and Tf) and q2 (using T2 and Tf) = 0 but I don't believe that is true and I couldn't figure out a way to get the equation given in the question.

It seems like it would be simple but I must be missing something.

BingoMan said:
Is this answer as simple as finding the equilibrium temperature then using that to find the entropy change in both masses and subtracting those?? If that's the case, then how does one figure out the equilibrium temp because I tried that to no avail.
It is not a simple question.

I think you are expected to take into account the vapour pressure of the water and assume that it is saturated at all times.

AM

I thought I might have to do that but it is isobarically mixed so I do not know how to deal with that

Related to Entropy/ 2nd law of thermodynamics

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a scientific concept that is used to measure the disorder or randomness of a system. It is often described as the tendency of a system to move from a state of order to a state of disorder.

2. How is entropy related to the 2nd law of thermodynamics?

The 2nd law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that the amount of disorder or randomness in a system will always increase in a natural direction. Entropy is directly related to this law because it is a measure of the disorder of a system.

3. Can entropy be reversed?

According to the 2nd law of thermodynamics, entropy cannot be reversed in a closed system. This means that the disorder in a system will always increase over time and cannot be completely reversed. However, it is possible to decrease entropy in a specific area or system, but this will always result in an increase in entropy in the surrounding areas or systems.

4. How does entropy affect living organisms?

Living organisms are constantly working against entropy by maintaining order and organization in their cells and bodies. This requires energy and metabolism to keep their systems in a state of low entropy. As living organisms age and their metabolism slows down, their cells become less able to maintain this low entropy state, leading to the natural process of aging.

5. What is the relationship between entropy and energy?

Entropy and energy are closely related, as energy is required to maintain order and decrease entropy in a system. The 2nd law of thermodynamics states that when energy is transferred or transformed, some of it will always be lost as heat, increasing the overall entropy of the system. In other words, entropy cannot decrease without the input of energy.