Enthelpy rise hot channel factor and Radial form factor

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a whole-core for a small PWR and the calculation of core life in relation to FdH and RFF. The difference between FdH and RFF is explained, with FdH being the maximum pin value and RFF being an average assembly value. It is mentioned that the same result can also be achieved with CHANNEL FDH or CHANNEL PIN FDH. The code being used is PANTHER.
Syed Alam
I am currently designing a whole-core for small PWR.
I am calculating core life (years) vs. FdH and RFF.

What is the difference between "Enthalpy rise hot channel factor (FdH)" and "Radial form factor (RFF)"?

I have calculated "CHANNEL FDH" which is same as "RFF". Do I have to try "CHANNEL PIN FDH" for getting the correct result for "Enthalpy rise hot channel factor (FdH)"?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Syed Alam said:
I am currently designing a whole-core for small PWR.
I am calculating core life (years) vs. FdH and RFF.

What is the difference between "Enthalpy rise hot channel factor (FdH)" and "Radial form factor (RFF)"?

I have calculated "CHANNEL FDH" which is same as "RFF". Do I have to try "CHANNEL PIN FDH" for getting the correct result for "Enthalpy rise hot channel factor (FdH)"?
What code(s) is one using?

Likes Syed Alam
I'm not sure what RFF is, but if it's the same thing as radial power density, the difference between FdH and RPD is that FdH is the max pin, on a pin by pin basis, while RPF is an assembly average quantity.

Likes Syed Alam
Astronuc said:
I am using PANTHER code.

Astronuc said:
PANTHER code.

Thanks!

QuantumPion said:
I'm not sure what RFF is, but if it's the same thing as radial power density, the difference between FdH and RPD is that FdH is the max pin, on a pin by pin basis, while RPF is an assembly average quantity.
Thanks!

Based on your other thread I believe RFF is actually the radial peaking factor, not a radial power density, but result is the same. FdH should always be higher than RFF since FdH is highest pin while RFF is highest average assembly.

Related to Enthelpy rise hot channel factor and Radial form factor

What is Enthalpy Rise Hot Channel Factor?

Enthalpy Rise Hot Channel Factor is a measure of the relationship between the heat transfer rate and the temperature difference in a system. It is used in thermodynamics to calculate the amount of heat that is transferred between two objects at different temperatures.

What factors affect Enthalpy Rise Hot Channel Factor?

The main factors that affect Enthalpy Rise Hot Channel Factor include the type of material being heated or cooled, the flow rate of the fluid, the surface area of the object, and the temperature difference between the two objects.

How is Radial Form Factor calculated?

Radial Form Factor is calculated by dividing the flow area by the wetted perimeter of a pipe or channel. This value is then multiplied by a correction factor to account for the shape of the pipe or channel and the fluid flow characteristics.

What is the significance of Radial Form Factor in heat transfer?

Radial Form Factor is important in heat transfer calculations because it takes into account the shape and size of the pipe or channel, which affects the fluid flow and heat transfer rate. It helps to accurately predict the amount of heat that will be transferred in a system.

How can Enthalpy Rise Hot Channel Factor and Radial Form Factor be used in engineering?

Enthalpy Rise Hot Channel Factor and Radial Form Factor are commonly used in engineering to design and optimize heat transfer systems. They help engineers determine the most efficient and effective way to transfer heat between two objects, such as in power plants, refrigeration systems, and HVAC systems.