Enthelpy of a Neutralization Reaction

• Thread starter elasticities
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the conversation discusses a neutralization reaction between NaOH and HCl, and the question of how the reaction would be affected if NaOH was in solid form instead of aqueous. The discussion also touches on the enthalpy change and the use of fractions in thermochemical equations. The conclusion is that the reaction products are NaCl and H2O, and the dissolution of salt is usually exothermic. The use of fractions in thermochemical equations is a convention to make comparisons easier and to focus on one specific substance.
elasticities

Homework Statement

Say there was an experiment between NaOH and HCl. The reaction is a neutralization reaction resulting in NaCl and H2O. The question is: What if the two reactants weren't aqueous, but if NaOH was in solid pellets instead?

Homework Equations

Neutralization reactions are usually exothermic.

The Attempt at a Solution

I initially thought there would be no enthalpy change because it's just changing the states...and according to Hess' law..it doesn't matter.

But the answer, I think, is that the enthalpy change is supposed to be greater (more negative)...meaning a lower final enthalpy.

But I need help explaining why? Something to do with dissolving, breaking bonds between Na+ and Cl-...and water...

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track. What are reaction products?

Borek said:
You are on the right track. What are reaction products?

The reaction is a neutralization reaction resulting in NaCl and H2O...right?

Another question on the tangent of thermochemistry -

Why are fractions allowed in thermochemical equations but not otherwise?

elasticities said:
The reaction is a neutralization reaction resulting in NaCl and H2O...right?

Yes. What happens when you have water and salt?

As to the fractions - enthalpy is often reported per mole of reaction or mole of reactant - these don't have to be identical. Sometimes using fractions for other substances you can "normalize" reaction so that it contains one mole of the substance you are interested in.

Note that technically whether coefficients are smallest integers or not doesn't matter, it is stoichiometric ratio of reagents that is important. Using smallest integer is just a convention that makes comparison easier and put some order.

Borek said:
Yes. What happens when you have water and salt?

The salt dissolves...? I'm sorry...I still don't get it. :S

Thanks for explaining my other question, by the way. :) Much appreciated.

Salt dissolves, that's right. Dissolution is (especially in the case of anhydrous salts) almost always exothermic.

Related to Enthelpy of a Neutralization Reaction

What is Enthalpy of a Neutralization Reaction?

The Enthalpy of a Neutralization Reaction is the amount of heat released or absorbed when an acid and a base react to form a salt and water under constant pressure and temperature.

How is Enthalpy of a Neutralization Reaction calculated?

The Enthalpy of a Neutralization Reaction is calculated by subtracting the enthalpy of the reactants from the enthalpy of the products.

What factors affect the Enthalpy of a Neutralization Reaction?

The factors that affect the Enthalpy of a Neutralization Reaction include the strength of the acid and base, the concentration of the reactants, and the temperature at which the reaction takes place.

What is the relationship between Enthalpy of a Neutralization Reaction and pH?

The Enthalpy of a Neutralization Reaction is directly related to the pH of the resulting solution. A more exothermic neutralization reaction will result in a lower pH, while a more endothermic reaction will result in a higher pH.

Why is the Enthalpy of a Neutralization Reaction important?

The Enthalpy of a Neutralization Reaction is important because it helps us understand the energy changes that occur during acid-base reactions. It also has practical applications, such as in the design of chemical processes and the determination of the strength of acids and bases.