Enthelpy Change of Ice to Vapor - Show on Graph w/BTU's

• Thread starter pipor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice Vapor
In summary, the conversation is about creating a graph to show the change of state of 1 lb of ice to water. The graph should include the BTU's required and indicate where the latent heat and sensible heat come into play. The speaker is seeking help in understanding the relationship between heat flow and temperature over different temperature ranges. They ask for assistance in determining the shape of the graph and the rate of temperature change with heat flow for the following ranges: -50C to 0C, at 0C, 0C to 100C, and 100C+.
pipor
Hi!,If someone could help me. I need to show on a graph (line) the change of state of 1 lb of ice, to water. From -35 degrees F to 50 degrees F showing the BTU's required to do so. And where the latent heat and sensible heat come into the graph. I hope someone understands what I'm saying and can give me some help. Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
If you plot heat flow on the x-axis and temperature on the y axis, can you determine the shape of the graph over the following temperature ranges:

a) -50C to 0C
b) at 0C
c) 0C to 100C
d) 100C +

ie what is the rate of temperature change with heat flow into the ice over each of these temperature ranges?

AM

Related to Enthelpy Change of Ice to Vapor - Show on Graph w/BTU's

What is the process of enthalpy change of ice to vapor?

The process of enthalpy change of ice to vapor is called sublimation. It is the direct transition of a substance from solid to gas without passing through the liquid state.

What causes the enthalpy change of ice to vapor?

The enthalpy change of ice to vapor is caused by the absorption of heat energy. This heat energy breaks the bonds between the molecules of ice, causing them to change from a solid to a gas state.

How can the enthalpy change of ice to vapor be measured?

The enthalpy change of ice to vapor can be measured by using a calorimeter. This device measures the amount of heat released or absorbed during a chemical reaction, in this case, the sublimation of ice.

What is the significance of the enthalpy change of ice to vapor in nature?

The enthalpy change of ice to vapor plays a crucial role in the water cycle. As water on the Earth's surface is heated by the sun, it evaporates and rises into the atmosphere as water vapor. This water vapor then cools and condenses into clouds, eventually falling back to the earth as precipitation.

How is the enthalpy change of ice to vapor represented on a graph?

The enthalpy change of ice to vapor is represented on a graph by a flat line, indicating that the temperature remains constant during the process of sublimation. The enthalpy of the substance increases as it absorbs heat energy, but the temperature does not change until the entire substance has transformed into vapor.