Entanglement and Concurrence: asking for definitions

In summary, the term "entanglement" is absent from the conversation, but the concepts of "coherent states" and "concurrence" are discussed.
DaTario
Hi All

I would like to know if one can present simple definitions for entanglement and concurrence as well as experimental forms to detect them.

Sincerely

DaTario

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you will not find the exact definition for the “entanglement” because of it is absent. I can point to similar situation with other widely used term – “coherent states” of atom or molecules.

The problem is that it is very difficult to give exact definition for the term, which physical nature is not clear. There are the cases of entanglement and coherent states (for additional information see arXiv:0706.2488v2 and physics/0401051).

So, we should at first understand a physical nature of phenomenon, and only than the exact definition of corresponding terms will be possible.

But now different scientists put in this terms different (his own) sense (which frequently is unknown for readers) and it makes, of course, a great difficulties for discussion, education, etc. But this is natural thing.

Till now I nothing hear about the “concurrence” term in physics.

Consider the interaction of field and atom, whose wave function are correlated mean u cannot separate the wavefunction of atom from the wavefunction of field, hence they are entangle. change in one will automatically bring change in the other.

kvladimir said:
I think you will not find the exact definition for the “entanglement” because of it is absent. I can point to similar situation with other widely used term – “coherent states” of atom or molecules.

The problem is that it is very difficult to give exact definition for the term, which physical nature is not clear. There are the cases of entanglement and coherent states (for additional information see arXiv:0706.2488v2 and physics/0401051).

So, we should at first understand a physical nature of phenomenon, and only than the exact definition of corresponding terms will be possible.

But now different scientists put in this terms different (his own) sense (which frequently is unknown for readers) and it makes, of course, a great difficulties for discussion, education, etc. But this is natural thing.

Till now I nothing hear about the “concurrence” term in physics.

Concurrence seems to be a hot concept nowadays. Quantum computation, quantum optics and correlated fields.

I think I disagree with you when you say that such terms don't have exact meaning.
In my opinion, it is a dynamical situation, may be a little like a small war. Those who defend more intensely and with more talent their view point are likely to win and stabilish the winner meaning of these concepts in these names.

Let try defining "coherent state", in order to exemplify that all that matter is not to be considered a messy thing:

Coherence is a property which is strongly related to statistic correlation in multiple (two or more) times and multiple points in space. So every quantum state that presents non zero self correlation (be it in time or space) gathers conditions to be called a coherent state. However, in practice, a more restrictive definition is used, in terms of states that a respresented by P distributions which are delta (peak shaped), one may argue.

Best Regards,

DaTario

Related to Entanglement and Concurrence: asking for definitions

1. What is entanglement?

Entanglement is a concept in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle cannot be described independently of the state of the other particles. This means that the particles are no longer separate entities, but rather they are entangled and share a quantum state.

2. How does entanglement occur?

Entanglement occurs when two or more particles interact with each other in a way that their quantum states become correlated. This can happen through various processes such as collisions, interactions with other particles, or through spontaneous creation of particles.

3. What is concurrence?

Concurrence is a measure of entanglement between two qubits (quantum bits). It quantifies the degree of correlation between the two qubits and ranges from 0 (no entanglement) to 1 (maximal entanglement).

4. How is entanglement and concurrence related?

Entanglement and concurrence are closely related as concurrence is used to quantify the amount of entanglement between two qubits. In other words, concurrence is a measure of entanglement.

5. What are some potential applications of entanglement and concurrence?

Entanglement and concurrence have potential applications in quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum teleportation. They are also being studied for their potential use in secure communication and improving the efficiency of information processing.