Entangled Photons: V/H & 45/135 Polarisations

In summary: If we measure the polarisation at 45 degrees, it doesn't necessarily mean that each photon will be both pass/pass or...Or both fail/fail.Or both fail/fail.
StevieTNZ
When you create a pair of entangled photons, are they simultaneously in a superposition of V and H, and 45 and 135 polarisations?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is were Heisenberg's uncertainty principle comes in. The more precisley you try to measure the state of one photon, the less likely you will understand or reveal the state of the other.

Antientrophy said:
This is were Heisenberg's uncertainty principle comes in. The more precisley you try to measure the state of one photon, the less likely you will understand or reveal the state of the other.

Doesn't them being entangled imply your not measuring them?

I'm not sure I follow. Before we make a measurement of one of the entangled photons, what superposition of polarisations is it (V and H AND/OR 45 and 135)?

Also, when I measure one photon and the polarisation turns out to V, I know the other photon has taken on V polarisation. I don't see where the uncertainty comes in there?

StevieTNZ said:
I'm not sure I follow. Before we make a measurement of one of the entangled photons, what superposition of polarisations is it (V and H AND/OR 45 and 135)?

Also, when I measure one photon and the polarisation turns out to V, I know the other photon has taken on V polarisation. I don't see where the uncertainty comes in there?

They are uncertain because they aren't being measured.
All mass particles in an entangled state are uncertain, but their states such as with spin are uncertain (or indistinguishable from each other) but always opposite since they are occupying the same quantum state and therefore have to have opposite spin. I don't know about photons though, because non-mass particles don't have to occupy opposite spins to exist in the same quantum state.

questionpost said:
They are uncertain because they aren't being measured.
All mass particles in an entangled state are uncertain, but their states such as with spin are uncertain (or indistinguishable from each other) but always opposite since they are occupying the same quantum state and therefore have to have opposite spin. I don't know about photons though, because non-mass particles don't have to occupy opposite spins to exist in the same quantum state.

Yes, but you usually can describe the superposition they're in when not being measured (hence wave functions). Uncertainty is a property of measurement results.

StevieTNZ said:
Yes, but you usually can describe the superposition they're in when not being measured (hence wave functions). Uncertainty is a property of measurement results.

So what's your actual question?

questionpost said:
So what's your actual question?

I've stated it already.

StevieTNZ said:
I've stated it already.

Polarization is associated with vector state which is uncertain...there should be a chance of either measuring a photon having either, which actually happens without entanglement, since if you just pass a photon beam through a let's say a prism, there's a 50% chance of it polarizing one way and a 50% chance of it going the other way, which is why it separates into two beams of light.

Last edited:
StevieTNZ said:
When you create a pair of entangled photons, are they simultaneously in a superposition of V and H, and 45 and 135 polarisations?
Wouldn't that depend on the history of how the photons were created? Let's say you annihilate a positron and electron to make the photon pair, then I should think the photon pair will inherit the conserved attributes of the initial pair. But one thing is clear-- you cannot talk about an entangled system in language that refers to superpositions of states for the individual particles. An entangled system is a superposition of two-particle states, where the two-particle states are tensor products of single particle states. Is it not so?

The definition of entanglement is that you can't find a basis, where the state is a product state wrt to the entangled properties. So if a state is entangled in one basis, it also is in every other.

[Note that this assumes that the entangled properties are the same for both particles, which means they can be described by the same basis / Hilbert space. In general, the polarization of a particle could also be entangled with other degrees of freedom of the other particle. Then you'd have to use "set of bases" instead of "basis" in the sentence above. But this doesn't change the bottom line that entanglement is always there.]

Last edited:
How would we model this situation:

Entangled pair of photons, each sent to a polarising beam splitter, then each subsequently sent to another polariser beam splitter orientated at 45 degrees.

=1/2 |VV>+|HH> (superposition of V and H polarisations)
evolves into (remember, according to QM no collapse has occurred)
=1/2 |45> [1/2 |VV>+|HH>] + |135> [1/2 |VV>-|HH>] (superposition of 45 and 135 degrees, as well as including the fact the system is still in superposition of V and H polarisations)

But, if we measure the polarisation at 45 degrees, it doesn't necessarily mean that each photon will be both pass/pass or fail/fail. There could be pass/fail, fail/pass, pass/pass, fail/fail. So I guess I've modeled it wrong, or something. Not sure how it is done.

It seems to me that if the initial state is 1/root(2)*(|VV> + |HH>), then if both beams encounter a V filter, the entanglement is broken before encountering any subsequent filters, because each entangled pair either fails to pass the V filter, or if they do, the state becomes |VV>, which is |V>|V> so is no longer entangled. To maintain the superposition, you could write the state after the first filter as 1/root(2)*(|pass>|pass> + |fail>|fail>), but the |fail>|fail> will also fail every subsequent filter because it never passed the first one.

How do we right the combination of two photons that were entangled, and then reaching polarisers? Say the photons first travel to a polarising beam splitter.

Photons that are V polarised and then becoming 45, or 135 degrees polarised have the plus sign before the state, and H polarised photons then becoming 45 degrees have plus signs before the state, but minus if its H then 135. But you can get a combination of H polarised photons, one becoming 45 the other 135. |H,45>-|H,135> - how can we combine those two so they're in the same | >, and when we add that to the complete picture do we put it in with a + or - before?

Related to Entangled Photons: V/H & 45/135 Polarisations

1. What are entangled photons?

Entangled photons are a pair of photons that are intrinsically connected to each other, meaning that any change in one photon will instantly affect the other, regardless of the distance between them. This phenomenon is known as quantum entanglement and is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics.

2. What is the significance of entangled photons in scientific research?

Entangled photons have a wide range of applications in scientific research, particularly in the field of quantum information and communication. They can be used for secure communication, quantum computing, and quantum teleportation, among others. They also provide insight into the fundamental nature of quantum mechanics and its implications.

3. How are entangled photons created?

Entangled photons can be created through various methods, including spontaneous parametric down-conversion, parametric amplification, and four-wave mixing. These methods involve splitting a photon into two entangled photons with opposite polarizations and matching wavelengths.

4. What are V/H and 45/135 polarizations in entangled photons?

V/H polarization refers to vertical/horizontal polarization, where the entangled photons have perpendicular polarizations. On the other hand, 45/135 polarization refers to diagonal polarization, where the entangled photons have polarizations that are 45 degrees apart. These polarizations are important in measuring the correlations between entangled photons.

5. What are the potential applications of entangled photons in the future?

Entangled photons hold great potential for various applications in the future, such as secure communication, quantum encryption, quantum computing, and quantum teleportation. They could also lead to new technologies and advancements in fields such as medicine, biology, and materials science.