Entangled electrons in the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

Do you have any further questions on this topic?In summary, the Stern-Gerlach experiment utilizes a nonuniform magnetic field to push electrons of different spins into different places. Two entangled electrons fed through the experiment one at a time will have correlated measurement results, with the exact correlation depending on the type of entanglement between the spins. The simplest case is the "singlet" state where the electrons always give opposite measurement results.
Quarky nerd
I have always been interested in entagled electrons. so I thought about the stern gerlack experiment and simly wondered what would happen to entagled electrons in such an experiment. (although the prefix says high school i am able to appreciate more complicated answers).

Physics news on Phys.org
What research have you done so far? What have you found out?

well i understand that the stern gerlack exeriment utilizes an ununiform magnetic field in order push electrons of different spins into different places.

[Edit: removed comment in response to "ununiform", I had misread the post]

Quarky nerd said:
in order push electrons of different spins into different places.

More precisely, electrons with spins in different directions. All electrons have spins of the same magnitude.

And even more precisely, what the Stern-Gerlach apparatus does is split a beam of electrons into two beams, one with spin "up" in the chosen direction, the other with spin "down" in the chosen direction.

Last edited:
Quarky nerd said:
well i understand that the stern gerlack exeriment utilizes an ununiform magnetic field in order push electrons of different spins into different places.
By "ununiform" do you mean "nonuniform"? Asking because "ununiform" is very likely to be misread by a native English speaker.

Quarky nerd said:
I thought about the stern gerlack experiment and simly wondered what would happen to entagled electrons in such an experiment.

Can you be more specific about the kind of scenario you are thinking about? How do the electrons get entangled, and how are they fed into the Stern-Gerlach apparatus?

Nugatory said:
By "ununiform" do you mean "nonuniform"? Asking because "ununiform" is very likely to be misread by a native English speaker.

Yes, indeed, as I proved by example. :wink: I have edited my post #4 to remove that comment.

sorry for my grammar yes I had meant nonuniform. and from what I understand( if this is not the case please correct me) it wouldn't matter how the electrons were entagled as long as they were entangled before fed into the experiment. as for means of projection i was thinking a small particle accelerator

Quarky nerd said:
it wouldn't matter how the electrons were entagled as long as they were entangled before fed into the experiment

Normally when considering the Stern-Gerlach experiment we treat the electrons as being fed through the experiment one at a time. Are you thinking of having two entangled electrons fed through the apparatus one at a time?

Also, "entangled" isn't a sufficiently precise description; there is more than one way of having two electrons be entangled. What specific entangled state are you thinking of?

i was unaware that there were multiple types of entaglement. could you eleborate.

Quarky nerd said:
i was unaware that there were multiple types of entaglement. could you eleborate.

Entanglement means, basically, that certain observables of the two electrons are correlated. But there are multiple observables that could be correlated: position, momentum, spin, for example. Which observables of the two electrons were you thinking would be correlated?

ummmmmm i was thinking spin but this answers a lot of important questions

Quarky nerd said:
i was thinking spin

That's what I had expected, since the Stern-Gerlach apparatus measures spin. :wink: But it's good to be explicit.

Then, as you have probably guessed from my last post, the answer is that if you send two electrons whose spins are entangled through a Stern-Gerlach apparatus one at a time, the results of the measurements (which beam the two electrons come out in) will be correlated. The exact correlation will depend on exactly how the spins are entangled. The simplest case is the "singlet" state, where the spins of the electrons are entangled in such a way that they always give opposite measurement results (one spin "up" and the other spin "down").

Likes vanhees71
thank you very much this has been multitudes of help for more projects than i expected:oldlaugh::partytime:

Quarky nerd said:
thank you very much

You're welcome! I'm glad this was helpful.

Related to Entangled electrons in the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

1. What is the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment is a physics experiment that was first performed in 1922 by Otto Stern and Walther Gerlach. It involves passing a beam of particles, usually silver atoms, through a non-uniform magnetic field to observe their deflection.

2. How does the Stern-Gerlach experiment demonstrate entangled electrons?

In the Stern-Gerlach experiment, a beam of electrons is passed through a magnetic field and then observed on a screen. The screen shows only two possible outcomes: the electrons are either deflected up or down. This indicates that the electrons must have an intrinsic angular momentum, or spin, of either +1/2 or -1/2. Since the electrons are indistinguishable, they must be entangled, meaning that the spin of one electron affects the spin of the other.

3. Why is the Stern-Gerlach experiment important?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment is important because it provided evidence for the concept of electron spin, which is a fundamental property of particles that cannot be explained by classical physics. It also demonstrated the phenomenon of entanglement, which has since become a key concept in quantum mechanics and has led to advancements in quantum computing and communication.

4. Can the Stern-Gerlach experiment be used to test the laws of physics?

Yes, the Stern-Gerlach experiment has been used to test the laws of physics, specifically the laws of quantum mechanics. The results of the experiment have consistently supported the predictions of quantum mechanics, providing evidence for the validity of this theory.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

Yes, the Stern-Gerlach experiment has practical applications in areas such as material science, where it is used to study the magnetic properties of materials. It has also been used in the development of new technologies, such as magnetic storage devices and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).