Enough with Fabric of the Cosmos et. al. already

• Thread starter maverick_starstrider
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosmos Fabric
In summary, the conversation is discussing the popularity of books on string theory and the desire for more books on other fields of physics, such as emergent phenomena, plasma physics, and condensed matter. The participants also discuss the role of popular science in engaging with the public and the need for these books to be written by researchers in those fields.
maverick_starstrider
Anyone else getting tired of hearing about books like Road to Reality and Fabric of the Cosmos and everyone and their sister in high school wanting to do string theory?

I really wish someone would write one of these books on like emergent phenomena in physics (like many-body stuff). That way people would get excited in a far bigger (and, IMHO more exciting) field of physics which is on a far more sound ground.

Just my two cents.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm getting tired.

---

Last edited by a moderator:
I think popular science is a good thing, since it at least somewhat engages with the public and tries to break down the barrier between what scientists do and the layperson's every day life. That said, if you'd like to write a "more exciting" book, then go ahead!

"The Road to Reality" is far removed from being one of the normal Pop Sci mag rack books that are a dime a dozen and try to hide as much real math and physics from the reader as possible. There need to be more books like this and less of the others.

But they're all unified field theory stuff (and always pluggings the others GUT of choice). Why never plasma physics, condensed matter, etc. And I don't buy that GUT if "big questions" physics. More like unverifiable unapplyable physics

maverick_starstrider said:
But they're all unified field theory stuff (and always pluggings the others GUT of choice). Why never plasma physics, condensed matter, etc. And I don't buy that GUT if "big questions" physics. More like unverifiable unapplyable physics

Seems to me like those books need to be written by those doing research in those fields.
Maybe you need to ask the "Roger Penrose"s or "Brian Greene"s of Plasma Physics, or of Condensed Matter, ...or maybe a pop-science writer...

Related to Enough with Fabric of the Cosmos et. al. already

1. What is "Fabric of the Cosmos" and why is it so popular?

"Fabric of the Cosmos" is a book written by physicist Brian Greene, which explores the concept of space and time in the universe. It gained popularity due to its engaging and accessible writing style, making complex scientific concepts understandable to the general public.

2. What other works are included in the "et. al." of "Enough with Fabric of the Cosmos et. al. already"?

The phrase "et. al." is often used to refer to other works or authors that are related to the main topic. In this case, it could be referring to other books or scientists who have also written about the concept of space and time in the universe.

3. Is "Fabric of the Cosmos" a credible source of scientific information?

Yes, "Fabric of the Cosmos" is a credible source of scientific information as it is written by a renowned physicist and is based on extensive research and scientific evidence. However, it is always important to critically evaluate any source of information, including books, to ensure accuracy and credibility.

4. Can "Fabric of the Cosmos" be understood by non-scientists?

Yes, "Fabric of the Cosmos" is written in a way that is accessible to non-scientists. While it discusses complex scientific concepts, it does so in a way that is easy to understand for those without a background in physics.

5. Are there any controversies surrounding "Fabric of the Cosmos"?

There are some controversies surrounding certain theories and concepts discussed in "Fabric of the Cosmos," as is common with any scientific work. However, the book has been well-received by the scientific community and has been praised for its accurate and engaging explanations.