Engineering with physics in mind

In summary, the individual is currently limited to studying engineering for their bachelor's degree but is more interested in physics. They are wondering if it is possible to study both engineering and physics simultaneously or switch to physics for their master's degree. They also have questions about which branch of engineering would be most suitable for their interests in theoretical physics and if self-studying physics is a viable option. They are considering electrical engineering as a possible path but are unsure about how it aligns with their plans for a master's in physics.
Wisey
Right now, I kind of only have the option of doing engineering for my bachelor degree, but am more interested in physics. Is it possible for me to do my engineering course, and study a full fledged physics course on my own at the same time?

Or even before that, is it possible for me to switch from engineering to physics for my master's degree? I would be giving my GRE after a couple of years, and would probably be wanting to get into a good university abroad(I am from India), I need to prepare for that as well, but I feel all that would be meaningless if I can't actually study the subject I am interested in for my Master's degree.

So my queries basically are:

1. Is it possible for me to switch from engineering to physics for my Master's degree. If so, which branch of engineering should I opt for? I am interested in theoretical physics, but I really don't have much idea about how much practical use it is put to, maybe I would rather study something which has more immediate consequences, something like nuclear energy. I really don't know, but if I chose say, electrical engineering, would it be possible for me to do my Master's degree in physics on such topics like I mentioned before?

2. If engineering alone wouldn't be enough, is it possible for me to make up by studying physics on my own? If this is possible, which branch of engineering should I choose to make it a lot easier for myself?

Any help will be appreciated. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not specialize in nuclear engineering in grad school?

Wisey said:
2. If engineering alone wouldn't be enough, is it possible for me to make up by studying physics on my own? If this is possible, which branch of engineering should I choose to make it a lot easier for myself?

Engineering physics?

Well those courses would be valid options, but I have to do my Bachelor degree in India, and I can't find such courses in the colleges over here. Courses here aren't flexible at all, and you only have several fixed courses that you can study, like Electrical and Electronics engineering, or Computer Science and Engineering.
I found engineering physics only in a few of the Indian Institutes of Technology, but I haven't done well enough in the entrance exam to clear it.

I think considering my circumstances, electrical engineering may be a good bet, (especially since I am also interested in engineering, just that I find physics to be my calling). I just am not sure how well that goes with my plan to do physics for my masters degree, or whether it is possible or not to study a physics course on my own simultaneously with my engineering course.

theres a subject called engineering physics. its very popular and you can work everywhere. hard to get in though.

Related to Engineering with physics in mind

1. What is engineering with physics in mind?

Engineering with physics in mind is the approach of applying the principles and laws of physics to design and create practical solutions to real-world problems. It involves using scientific knowledge and techniques to develop technologies and systems that are efficient, safe, and effective.

2. How is physics used in engineering?

Physics is used in engineering to understand and analyze the behavior of materials, structures, and systems. It provides the fundamental principles and mathematical models that are essential for designing and optimizing engineering solutions. Physics is also used to test and validate the performance of these solutions.

3. What are some examples of engineering with physics in mind?

Some examples of engineering with physics in mind include designing bridges and buildings that can withstand certain forces and stresses, developing new materials with specific properties, and creating energy-efficient systems for transportation and electricity generation. Other examples include designing medical devices, communication technologies, and aerospace systems.

4. Why is it important to consider physics in engineering?

Considering physics in engineering is crucial because it allows us to understand the fundamental principles and limitations of our designs. It helps us predict how our systems will behave and how they will interact with the environment. By incorporating physics into engineering, we can create more effective and sustainable solutions.

5. What skills are needed for engineering with physics in mind?

Engineering with physics in mind requires strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a deep understanding of physics principles and mathematical concepts. It also requires creativity, attention to detail, and the ability to apply theoretical knowledge to practical situations. Collaboration and communication skills are also essential for working in multidisciplinary engineering teams.