Engineering Statics Problem - Determining Magnitudes

In summary, the problem involves determining the magnitudes of F_C(FsubC), F_B, and the resultant force, F_R, in a system with two cables supporting a 1500N load on an overhang boom. The equilibrium condition, \sum{\vec{F}}=0, can be used to solve for the unknown forces, with the 1500N force being a part of the calculation. It is important to understand the difference between vectors and scalars, as well as familiarize oneself with vector notation and moments.
deathcap00

Homework Statement

Two cables are used to secure the overhang boom in position and support the 1500N load. If the resultant force is directed along the boom from point A towards O, determine the magnitude of F_C(FsubC), F_B, and the resultant force, F_R. Set x= 1 and z= 4 .

Homework Equations

Probs2-99_100-1.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

StaticsWork.jpg

I am not catching on very quickly in my statics class so my notation is probably messed up. Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you trying to achieve by computing Fac = Fc - Fa? There is no Fa shown on your diagram, and no Fac nor Fab shown. I guess I do not understand what you are doing yet, or why. And why did you write Fr = Fb + Fc? That is also a false statement. What about using equilibrium?

Your work is not quite right. It asks you to find the magnitudes of the forces. So what you have to do is split your forces up in x,y, and z components. And also sum the moments about a particular point.

Cross products may be easier in this case.

Try again.

That is the problem, I don't know what I am doing, just need some guidance on where to start.

Well all of your forces have components along the x, y and z axes. You should know from class that [tex]\sum{\vec{F}}=0[/tex] is the equilibrium condition. Split that up into scalar components and you have [tex]\sum{F_x} =0[/tex]
[tex]\sum{F_y} =0[/tex]
[tex]\sum{F_z} =0[/tex]

And the same goes for moments.

Just a hint: When they ask you to find the magnitude of something, you usually don't need to use vectors. Unless its easier that way, but your final answer is never a vector.

nvn said:
What are you trying to achieve by computing Fac = Fc - Fa? There is no Fa shown on your diagram, and no Fac nor Fab shown. I guess I do not understand what you are doing yet, or why. And why did you write Fr = Fb + Fc? That is also a false statement. What about using equilibrium?

We haven't learned about equilibrium yet, so I am not sure about that.

djeitnstine said:
Your work is not quite right. It asks you to find the magnitudes of the forces. So what you have to do is split your forces up in x,y, and z components. And also sum the moments about a particular point.

Cross products may be easier in this case.

Try again.

We haven't been taught about moments or cross products yet either. I think I understand about splitting the x,y,z components up, but the 1500N force doesn't "terminate" anywhere so how do I determine that? Also, wouldn't I need one of the forces of AC or AB to determine the resultant force? Thanks for the help, I am determined to get this problem...

djeitnstine said:
Just a hint: When they ask you to find the magnitude of something, you usually don't need to use vectors. Unless its easier that way, but your final answer is never a vector.

So if magnitude is asked for, what are the general beginning steps to get your answer?

deathcap00 said:
We haven't learned about equilibrium yet, so I am not sure about that.

[tex]\sum{\vec{F}} = 0 [/tex] IS equillibrium.

deathcap00 said:
We haven't been taught about moments or cross products yet either. I think I understand about splitting the x,y,z components up, but the 1500N force doesn't "terminate" anywhere so how do I determine that? Also, wouldn't I need one of the forces of AC or AB to determine the resultant force? Thanks for the help, I am determined to get this problem...

I do not know what you mean by terminate.

deathcap00 said:
So if magnitude is asked for, what are the general beginning steps to get your answer?

You could start by rereading posts #3 (save for moments) and #5. I am sure you know what vectors and their scalar components are.

Simply by looking at the diagram the only forces that have any contribution in the z direction are the 1500N, Fb and Fc. This should get you started.

bad post

Last edited:
djeitnstine said:
[tex]\sum{\vec{F}} = 0 [/tex] IS equillibrium.

I do not know what you mean by terminate.

You could start by rereading posts #3 (save for moments) and #5. I am sure you know what vectors and their scalar components are.

Simply by looking at the diagram the only forces that have any contribution in the z direction are the 1500N, Fb and Fc. This should get you started.

How do I incorporate 1500N into the process? Don't one of the other cables need a value in Newtons for me to calculate? By terminate, I meant that the 1500N force isn't anchored on one end so I don't know how to use that value in my calculations. Hopefully, that clears it up...

You have a few misunderstandings you need to get rid of.

First of all the 1500N force vector is clearly given to you. namely [tex] (-1500 \vec{k}) N[/tex] Study vectors again. Any vector along a x,y,z axes, given its magnitude will only have the directions, i,j or k respectively.

You should also learn the difference between a vector and a scalar.

Read these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclidean_vector

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_(physics )

Do that and restudy your class notes and your textbook.

Last edited by a moderator:
deathcap00: The 1500 N applied load terminates at point A. Start by using equilibrium. In your case, that means summation(Fx) = 0, summation(Fy) = 0, and summation(Fz) = 0. Or, if you want to use vector notation (i, j, k), that is perfectly OK (your choice), in which case the above would be summation(F) = 0.

Start by writing the above equations. Include the unknowns. You have three unknowns. Solve the equations simultaneously for the three unknowns. You do not need summation of moments. Try it again.

Thanks to all for the help, I will try and work this problem again this evening with the provided help info. Sorry if I am not that smart about this stuff, I am taking Statics for the first time and vector calc too so it's all very new to me and I am having a hard time getting some of the concepts down the first time around. Hopefully, I will be able to help someone on here one day! Thanks again, I will post and let you guys know how it goes.

Related to Engineering Statics Problem - Determining Magnitudes

1. What is engineering statics?

Engineering statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the analysis of forces and their effects on stationary objects. It is used to determine the equilibrium of a system and the resulting forces acting on different components.

2. How do you approach a statics problem?

The first step in approaching a statics problem is to identify all the forces acting on the system, including external forces and internal forces within the components. Then, draw a free-body diagram to visualize the forces and their directions. Finally, use equations of equilibrium to solve for unknown forces or components.

3. What is the difference between internal and external forces in a statics problem?

Internal forces are forces that act within a system, between the components of the system. They do not change the overall motion or equilibrium of the system. External forces, on the other hand, act on the system from outside and can cause changes in the system's motion or equilibrium.

4. How do you determine the magnitude of a force in a statics problem?

To determine the magnitude of a force in a statics problem, you need to use equations of equilibrium. These equations state that the sum of all forces acting on a system must equal zero for the system to be in equilibrium. By setting up and solving these equations, you can determine the magnitude of unknown forces.

5. What are some real-world applications of engineering statics?

Engineering statics is used in many real-world applications, such as designing structures like bridges and buildings, analyzing the forces acting on machines and vehicles, and even in sports and exercise science to optimize performance and prevent injuries. It is a fundamental concept in many fields of engineering and is essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems.