Engineering related publication

In summary, the conversation discussed a mechanical engineering student's project idea and the process of publishing it in a journal. The student was seeking guidance on where to start and possible topics. It was emphasized that the project should focus on solving a problem and then be submitted for publication. The professor will provide recommendations closer to the publishing stage. Conferences may also be a step before a peer-reviewed publication.
NicolasPan
Hello everyone,I am a mechanical engineering student and yesterday I convinced my professor to work on a project where it will be published in a journal about one year from now.I really don't know where to start as there are countless of highy-respected researches at top universities such as ETH,Stanford etc.I would really appreciate it if someone could guide me, and maybe if possible to write down some possible topics .Thanks in advance!

Likes mechpeac
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a discussion to have with the professor.

You don't start by saying "I'm going to publish a paper." You start with a problem. You work on it. And if you find something novel that others in the scientific or engineering community would find interesting, then your write it up and submit it for publication.

Likes billy_joule and Timo
Your professor will be able to recommend once you get closer to the point of publishing. A lot of time you present at some conferences before a peer reviewed major publication.

Related to Engineering related publication

1. What is the purpose of an engineering related publication?

An engineering related publication serves as a means of sharing new research, findings, and developments in the field of engineering. It allows for the dissemination of knowledge and promotes further advancements in the field.

2. How do you determine which engineering publications are reputable?

Reputable engineering publications are typically peer-reviewed, meaning that they have been evaluated by experts in the field for accuracy and validity. Additionally, publications from well-known and established organizations or journals are generally considered reputable.

3. What is the typical format for an engineering publication?

The format of an engineering publication may vary, but it typically includes an abstract, introduction, methodology, results, discussion, and conclusion. It may also include references and acknowledgments.

4. What is the importance of citing sources in an engineering publication?

Citing sources is crucial in an engineering publication as it gives credit to the original authors and allows readers to access the sources for further information. It also helps to avoid plagiarism and strengthens the credibility of the publication.

5. How can engineers contribute to the publication process?

Engineers can contribute to the publication process by conducting thorough and well-documented research, writing clear and concise manuscripts, and collaborating with other experts in the field. They can also review and provide feedback on other publications to help improve the overall quality of engineering literature.