Engineering Physics: Pursuing a Master's/PhD Without ABET Accreditation?

In summary, if you go on to grad school after completing an EP program that is not ABET accredited, you may still be able to get a PE license. However, you may need to get a masters or PhD to have the best chance of being able to do so.
DR13
I will be a freshman in college next year and want to major in engineering physics. The problem is that the program is not ABET accredited. I know that to get a PE liscense one needs to get a degree at an ABET accredited program. However, I plan on going on to grad school. Will the lack of a PE liscense hinder my job outlook if I have a masters or PhD? Or, can I get a PE liscense if I go on to grad school even if the EP program is not ABET accedited?

Thanks all

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm also interested in the answer to this question. My undergrad degree will be in "physics- applied physics track." If I decide to go into an EE grad program, can I still get the same certifications as somebody with an engineering undergrad?

Both of you need to call up your state licensing boards. Some places let you take your your exams anyway they just require you to have more years of experience working under a PE, something like straight out of school vs. 4 years before taking the FE exam and 4 yrs. vs. 12 for the PE exam.

Will the lack of a PE liscense hinder my job outlook if I have a masters or PhD?
It's totally different ballgames. If you want to eventually sign off on big construction projects, you need the PE license. It's a legal requirement and has to do with all sorts of city/government codes and no masters/PhD can substitute. On the flip side, if you want to work in an industry that's not construction related, you may not need a PE. A masters is probably sufficient, a PhD is overkill if you're not planning to work in industrial research.

can I get a PE liscense if I go on to grad school even if the EP program is not ABET accedited?
One the civil engineering professors at my school just took his FE, so I know it's possible. If the grad program is ABET accredited, it should help, but call the licensing board.

story645 said:
Both of you need to call up your state licensing boards.

The problem is that I have no idea where I will be living in so many years

story645 said:
A masters is probably sufficient, a PhD is overkill if you're not planning to work in industrial research.

I would like to go into research. I had always understood that if one wants to go into research then a PhD is a necessity (or at least strongly recommended).

From what you said, I am assuming that one does not need a PE liscense to go into research?

DR13 said:
From what you said, I am assuming that one does not need a PE liscense to go into research?
Basically, yeah:
PE = building or other large structure where someone can die if it breaks
PhD = research (and yeah, it's usually required)

The problem is that I have no idea where I will be living in so many years
Everyone posts this stuff online, so you can look at a couple of states and see what their rules are.

story645 said:
PE = building or other large structure where someone can die if it breaks

Is a PE liscense required for nuclear engineering? I would assume yes

DR13 said:
Is a PE liscense required for nuclear engineering? I would assume yes
Astronuc is the forum member worth asking this. There's a specialized PE exam, so theoretically yes, but like the one in EE it may not be necessary for a lot of jobs.

I hoghly doubt you would be able to sit for a PE exam without an ABET accredited degree. I know it is required in my state and a few others. I have never, personally met anyone that did not have an accredited degree.

The national NCEES website even mentions this:
http://www.ncees.org/Licensure/Licensure_for_engineers.php

Last edited by a moderator:
FredGarvin said:
I hoghly doubt you would be able to sit for a PE exam without an ABET accredited degree.
http://www.ncees.org/Licensing_boards.php?boardID=1043&show=examRequirements (my hometown) doesn't seem to strictly require one, but it's rather unclear on the website. That's why I suggest calling up the state licensing board.

I have never, personally met anyone that did not have an accredited degree.
Sampling bias? Most people who become engineers have accredited degrees cause most programs are accredited.

Related to Engineering Physics: Pursuing a Master's/PhD Without ABET Accreditation?

1. Can I still pursue a Master's or PhD in Engineering Physics without an ABET accreditation?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Master's or PhD in Engineering Physics without ABET accreditation. However, it may limit your job opportunities in certain industries that require an ABET-accredited degree.

2. What is ABET accreditation and why is it important?

ABET accreditation is a voluntary process that evaluates and ensures the quality and consistency of educational programs in the fields of applied science, computing, engineering, and technology. It is important as it serves as a standard for employers and graduate schools to determine the quality of education and skills of graduates from a particular program.

3. How does pursuing a Master's or PhD in Engineering Physics without ABET accreditation affect my job prospects?

While it is possible to secure a job in the field without an ABET-accredited degree, some employers may prefer candidates with an accredited degree. This is because an ABET-accredited degree demonstrates that the program has met certain standards and that graduates possess the necessary skills and knowledge for the job.

4. Are there any alternative forms of accreditation for Engineering Physics programs?

Yes, there are other forms of accreditation for Engineering Physics programs, such as regional accreditation and program-specific accreditation. Regional accreditation is typically granted by one of the six regional accrediting bodies in the United States, while program-specific accreditation is granted by specialized accrediting agencies for specific fields of study.

5. Is it possible to transfer from a non-ABET accredited Master's program to an ABET-accredited PhD program in Engineering Physics?

Yes, it is possible to transfer from a non-ABET accredited Master's program to an ABET-accredited PhD program in Engineering Physics. However, the transfer process and eligibility may vary depending on the specific program and institution. It is best to consult with the admissions office of the desired PhD program for more information.